Thread: Leupold Compact 10-20x40 Spotting Scope

Default Leupold Compact 10-20x40 Spotting Scope

Any one have any experience with the Leupold gold ring 10-20X40 spotting scope? I have a 18-36x50mm scope I am using now, but was looking at this smaller scope for my wilderness backpack hunts. At 15 oz, it would definately save some weight.

Not sure about the light gathering of the 40mm objective, but at the max 20 power it wold probably be fine. My current scope I find i can rarely use anything over 25 power magnification due to heat waves and light gathering anyways unless conditions are optimal. Just need the scope to confirm animals spotted with my bino's, I am not a trophy hunter....yet

I appreciate any reviews or advice, Thanks.

Default Re: Leupold Compact 10-20x40 Spotting Scope

I haven't used it in the field, but I have looked through it in the store while comparing with other small and light spotters. For relatively the same size and weight, I'd go with the 15-30x50 Gold Ring. I've already got great 10x42 binos, so for ME I want more than the little 10-20x40 offers.

Another option for small,light and cheap is the Burris Landmark 12-24. A buddy got one on Ebay for way cheap and it worked very well the other day for spotting hits on rocks to 600+ yds. I wouldn't want to seriously scout with that scope, but for what it is, it's not bad all things considered.

MSzychulda,
    I use a Burris Landmark 20x50mm fixed Compact. I also got it for very little off of Ebay. I think it works great for the price, they are so cheap on Ebay becouse they often come as a free-be with Burris's more expensive rifle scopes.

Thanks for the advice. I took the plunge and got the 10-20x40mm scope. I found one on ebay and got a fantastic deal on it. Saved about 100 dollars, so ebay does pay off sometimes.

Like I said, i have a 15-34 x50mm power scope now which is the same weight as the Leupold 15-30x50. Not nearly as good as glass but it works.

I think this one will fill the niche on my lightweight backpack hunts and scouts, and will save a lot of room.

I know the 40 mm will not gather as much light, but you have to give up something for another I guess. The weight and size factor are important to me right now. I use it mainly to determine if deer are bucks and bedding positions/stalk routes, the smaller scope should work well for that. I find my current scope rarely gets turned up over 25 power with the heat where I hunt.

I will post a review when I get the scope. Thanks!

PS, i checked out the Burris scopes. Not a bad little scope for the money, better than Bushnell IMHO.

Does anyone have any current info on this compact Leupold? Seems like an interesting piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Does anyone have any current info on this compact Leupold? Seems like an interesting piece of kit.
    SLG,

I asked Timberline the same question about the slightly larger 15-30 model and he responded the day before his passing. Here is what he had to say.

"Brian,

I do have one and like it a lot. It has good eye relief, is amazingly bright and clear for the price and size, and it's compact (just 11 inches long) and light (just 21.5 ounces).

Actuallly, I currently have two spotting scopes. A Swarovski 65 (20-60) that's simply amazing optically. But it's also relatively large (14.7 inches in length) and heavy (47.6 ounces). It's perfect when near the truck, when souting (and I'm not carrying a rifle or bow) or when I can talk someone else (like an eager, young sheep guide) into carrying it.

Otherwise, for most of my Lower 48 backpack hunting (when I feel I need a spotting scope), I use the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30. It's smaller and much lighter than the Swarovski. It's clearly not the optical match of the Swarovski, but I do find the Leupold amazingly good for its size and weight. It really is a nice spotting scope.

Bill"

Thanks for passing that info on. I know Timberline preferred higher mag. scopes for the occasional need, but it sounds like the 30 did what he needed most of the time. Extrapolating a little, it sounds like the smaller, lighter, lower power version will do what I need done at this point. Thanks again.

Sent you a PM.

I have one and in general, I think that they're ok depending on what you're doing. Obviously they're wonderfully light and compact. I think they're good for trying to reach out beyond your 8x binoculars to see if that deer actually has antlers. I'm not a trophy hunter, so for me the question is whether I should make the walk or not based on legal/not legal. They wont wow you the way top shelf glass in bigger spotters does. You give up a lot in light vs. larger scopes as well.

More recently I bought one of the small Minox 50W scopes from CameralandNY on open-box sale which i think is a pretty good deal for the money in micro-spotters. I've never looked through the 50mm Nikon but i think it's supposed to be the class glass in this size. I read somewhere that the Minox "compares to but doesn't equal" the Nikon.

HT