Thread: what to us for diy stove jack?

Default what to us for diy stove jack?

Im looking to put a stove in a surplus shelter half pup tent. Ive seen the small silicon backing sheets and some thin grey/black oven liners. I think the liner might be teflon coated, which I dont want to burn in an enclosed space, tin of course the cheapest option. I believe the pup tent is of a comparable size to a paratarp and annex. I havent decided whether to make a stove out of a ammo can or a stainless stock pot. I think I'll try and match the small stoves volume. thanks woody

Default Re: what to us for diy stove jack?

I have heard of "gasket material" being used. Never tried it myself.

bark
    many of the packing rags have stove jacks for sale. the last time i looked wyoming outdoor industries had them. ray

You can use a piece of fiberglass welding cloth, too. Don

I've used the oven liners with great success. They'll sew right in. I'm not sure if they have thicker versions, since they are very thin. I made one with two layers of fabric, which seems a bit more durable than the single layer. They don't smoke at all, at least the one's I've used.

The surplus pup tents are very low and may not have enough room for a stove. Many years ago "Boy's Life" had plans for a mini-wall tent made from three shelter halves. Add two 14" pole sections (for front & back) and cut the third half into 14" (plus seam allowance) strips. Sew these on the bottom of the two sides and the front & rear wedges. Adding 14" to the height expands inner space dramatically.

I was thinking about adding a stove to the mil pup tent but never did it. Hard to justify such a project with a 4-man tipi but I have seen some Ebay sellers that had a few types of stove jacks. One didn't even need to be sewed on. It was metal and looked to clamp on than the port was cut out.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

I was toying with the adding side walls. Heres an image of 6 shelter halves made into a 6 man tent: Http://warfighter.dla.mil/special/ba...helterhalf.jsp
    I was going to use a painters tarp but another shelter half cant be to hard to find.
    A stainless stock pot was concidered for the stove. If i cut the lid in two pieces, with a smaller section rivited to the pot and a hole cut for chimney, and hinged to the larger piece tat lifts to load the stove. a slideing vent towards the bottom of the pot wold be easy enough.
    However a top loader might not be a good idea in a small space. The next contestant is a 30 cal ammo box that looks a little small and is presently doing what it was designed for.
    I'm trying to rig up enough gear to spend a week out in the icy wilderness of maine...along with all every one else who's been waiting for winter. thanks for the responses, woody

the stock pot is a good idea, add a blower to the bottom and you would have a forge. Put a grate made out of SS expanded metal a couple inches from the bottom and have a vent slot cut so you could use an ash scraper to clean out the stove while still in use. but you are right that it would be better in a taller space.

I know the small stove is expensive, but unless you have a good (free) source for stainless steel it will still add up fast. But the satisfaction of DIY plus the learning along the way can be worth the price.

"stove boot"

Well, I hate to do it cause these guys look like a bunch of kifaru wannabe's and I have a hard time trying to stomach the thought of turning $ away from kifaru to them [I waited several days before posting this]. I doubt any of their products can hold a candle to kifaru anyway....

But i stumbled across this a while ago and it looks exactly what you are looking for.