Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike Trip, what fun (lots of pics)

Default Pike Trip, what fun (lots of pics)

The Pike trip was a resounding success! First, to all that helped me, “thank you.” Boy, did I learn a lot. We had all sorts of weather, calm and sunny, to rain, wind and white caps. I wouldn’t have traded any of it. Fishing was great (I stopped counting after the first hour or two), with spoons being the preferred favorite of the group. Surface plugs, on a calm flat evening produced great results too. Fish averaged four to six pounds with several 18 pounders and one 20 pounder being caught. I think I caught all the small fish. Their average fish were large ones for me. [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Several that had done the trip before felt that we were a couple of weeks late this year, based on fish size, in that the big fish come into spawn right after ice out. 8 pound fish were expected. Reading the log left by the June first group this year supported their thoughts.

After a seventeen hour drive north from Missoula, we (eight of us) loaded on a Cessena 208 Caravan and headed north. This thing is BIG! Several 160 qt. Ice chests and a bunch of gear were thrown in first (after being weighted) then us. A second plane brought the rest of the gear several hours later.

Default Re: Pike Trip, what fun (lots of pics)

200 km’s later we landed on “our’ lake just 10 miles north of Lake Athabasaca, AB. Dotted with islands, there is another accessible fishing lake connected by a small channel. Someone from Canada could probably explain it better (or correct me) but, as I understand it, this all First Nation land with this section under the care of the Mikisew tribe (?). The company we used only allows one party on a lake at one time.

Gear was unloaded, tossed inside and its off fishing. I thought we would set up camp, get organized, etc. first. How wrong I was. It was grab the poles. Jump into the boats, and head for the other lake to pick up the fourth boat....

This channel had lots of pike in it (as did the lake).

Wildlife for us, consisted of plenty of Bald Eagles, loons, Mergansers and gulls. Moose, Black Bear and deer also inhabit the area, but we didn’t see any.

My nephew with an average fish (for them, large for me!) .

Fish’s ready! (Leftovers actually). One of the group brought his 13 year old son along. This kid had a blast and was very helpful with camp chores too.

Sunset 11pm. No filters or computer enhancements, it was just plain beautiful. Sunset was at 10:40PM and Sunrise at 4:04am.

If anyone knows of, or can recommend, other outfits that offer similar drop camps with boats etc, for Northern Pike, Brook Trout, grayling or Arctic Char I’m interested. The savings account is already started for next year. I’m hooked on this!

Thanks again everyone, for your help and advise.

-Dan

Dan, Great story and pics. I have been contemplating a trip like this with my soon to be 12 year old son. I am anxious to see what other suggestions the group here has on these trips. Thank you, Kurt

Hey, Dan, That sounds like a good trip, thanks for the report and pics. Did ya save any pike heads for por-boy taxidermy? Cut the head off behind the gills and tack 'em to a board,prop the mouth open and position everything so it looks good. Let dry out of the sun with a piece of window screen tacked over to discourage flies. After drying, spray a couple coats of polyurethane/laquer on and you are good to go.Good conversation piece and kids love 'em, you can even sell 'em to help pay for next trip......Don