Thread: 45 colt/ 410 for a contender

Default 45 colt/ 410 for a contender

I have inherited a thompson contender, with two barrels. I know very little about these Thompson's and am learning quite a bit about them. I have a barrel in the 45 colt that was produced in 1968 or 1969 when Thompson was in court about these short barrels being able to shoot shotgun shells. The box the barrel came in is marked 45/410, but the barrel is only marked 45 colt and is not bored out to take the 410 shells. It does have the external choke. Apparently the barrels produced during this time frame are identical to the barrels produced immediatley before and after but not bored out for the 410 because of the court order. So my question is does any body know if is legal for me to have it bored out to 410 now? Or does any body know where I can get information on if it is legal?

Default Re: 45 colt/ 410 for a contender

The gun should be able to take .410 shells. The reason that TC made this was to allow shooters to use .410 shells but not run afoul of the federal restrictions on short barreled shotguns.

The 45 Colt stamping indicates that it can use 45 COlt but more importantly, the 410 shells.

The 45 colt barrels made during this time won't accept a 410 shell. A 410 shell will go in about 2 inches and then butts up against the rifling. It is a very small amount of material that needs to be bored out and I can shove a 2 1/2 shell all the way in, but the base won't seat properly. I have had one source of information tell me that when most of these barrels were sold that most people just turned around and had them bored out to 410. I just can't find a good source of information to find out for sure....and now that I am writing this I am thinking I should just contact Thompson Contender directly and see if they would have the info??!

Patrick in AK: Check your state's laws; if it's leagle in AK, you are good to go. Any competent gunsmith ought to be able to fix you up. Get it punched out to a 3 inch chamber; the 3 inch shells are more effective on game because they hold more shot.

The 45 Colt will loose some accuracy after lengthening the chamber. You can bring it back up to snuff by expanding a 9.3 x 74 to .45 caliber and fireforming it in your chamber. There is a post, back aways, that has a link on this new wildcat for upgrading your 45/410. I read somewhere recently that this case is capable of developing 45-100 velocities, which is above the 45-70 and considerabyt more potent than a 45 Colt. It ought to be just the ticket for AK out to 150+ yards. A real sledge hammer...Rusty.

Rusty--

Wow! I assume this thumper will not stretch the frame? Might have to dig out my old 45/410 barrel--one of the gem-like octagons with external choke-- and convert. Hot long Colt loads are nothing to sneeze at, but...wow. Too many projects, not enough time....

Excuse me, there is nothing to convert if you have a three inch .410 chambering already in your barrel, right? Just a matter of finding and dealing with 9.3 x 74 brass.

Rusty...Thanks for the tip on the 9.3 x 74, I think I will have to play with that a little bit... it does sound like just the ticket. It would be an interesting barrel with one load for ptarmigan the other for bear!

Patrick in AK: I found the link: Technicly it's the 11.4 x 74R.

http://fourms.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/374105743

For some unknown reason, I can't get the above link to work. So go to <a href="http://www.accuratereloading.com" target="_blank">http://www.accuratereloading.com</a>
    click on the Accurate Reloading Forms, scroll down to Single Shot Pistols, click on page 2 top right, and scroll down to the thread titled 45/410 11.4 x 74R. Besides all the pertenent information, you can see pictures of the loaded amunition beside a Contender for size references. It's pretty impressive, Rusty

Rusty, thanks for the link. Wow!! The photos of those loads look mighty impressive next the pistol.