Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Your Advice

Default Seeking Your Advice

I finally turn 21 tomorrow, so I'm finally legal to enjoy the finer things in life: alcohol and handguns (separately, of course). Instead of stumbling home tonight from the bars, I have a thesis and project proposal due in the AM [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] . So I wanted to post this and maybe you guys can help me out with some advice while I pound the keyboard all night.

On a very serious subject, a close friend of mine was attacked rather recently. She managed to escape without any physical harm, but psychologically it has been devastating. I offered to take a self-defense class with her to help her take hold of her own life and security again, and it finally looks that it's working. This is a relatively safe area, but that's also the mindset that got her into the situation she found herself in the first place. The bottom line: I do not want to become a victim. I have always held my own regarding personal protection but I want to know that I will be in control of the outcome in any scenario I face. Her experience raised some serious protection issues in my own head. I decided now is just as good as tomorrow to start educating myself on further protection, handguns, and firearm safety. Eventually, I would like to carry on a daily basis, but I can understand if the process to get to that point is slow.

I hope you guys can help guide me through the processes. I live in PA. I live off campus (I understand that you cannot carry on university property). My interaction with firearms has been in controlled environments at summer camps, to the extent of knowing that when you pull the trigger it goes bang. The questions I have are basic. What do I need to know? What should I look for in a handgun? How much should I expect to pay? What other fees and costs will I have to consider? What sort of permits will I have to pursue? What classes will I need to take and what do you recommend beyond the basics to be as safe as possible and as prepared as possible? I want to be as educated as I can before I put down for any sort of investment. Maybe you can help.

Anything you guys can share with me, anything at all, is really really appreciated.

Default Re: Seeking Your Advice

You'll get alot of good advice on this one.
    Such as, move to Wyoming if you want to be safe.

My best advice is to query menbers of this board on their recommendation for a combat shooting school.
    Go to one of these schools and get some serious intruction, and range time under your belt. You'll know at the end of it what you want in the way of a carry gun.

STTAOW--

I think your age, and the "education" that's been foisted upon you is an emotional/intellectual handicap that you should work to overcome before, or at least at the same time you investigate the PA intricacies of armed self defense. I grew up in an age when very forceful self defense was a given. Not so in this Liberal age of Political correctness. You may very well have an attitude adjustment to make, in other words. I suggest you fetch and read TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH, by Jeff Cooper. You will almost certainly find it "shocking" in honesty, in comparison to everything you've been exposed to. The Premise is that everyone has a fundamental RIGHT to self-defense. No matter what. Bad people DESERVE TO BE KILLED OUTRIGHT IF THEY ARE VIOLATING THIS BASIC RIGHT. How about that, STTAOW? No questions asked, no sociologists to seek advise from first--just do what the cretin richly deserves and shoot him between the eyes. The preceeding sentence will prep you for the book. You'll come thru the reading experience a better "man" for it, able to defend yourself and those you love without nonsensical PC impediments.

RIGHT ON PATRICK!!!!!!!!!

Get also "The Modern Technique of the Pistol" by Greg Morrison.

After you've read that, you'll know more what questions to ask.
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

Patrick

Right on! That's the stuff I'm looking for. I already hit amazon.com and picked that up as well as his Principles of Self-Defense. I never would have considered that brush with reality as a handicap if you didn't mention it. Different views can open your eyes. Thanks.

I've definitely never been one to hestitate to act, if the need is there. If I'm reading you right, "if the need is there," is what you're referring to. My folks raised me to do what I think is right, even if I had to explain it later. I once dropped a guy to the ground for moving to touch my sister at an ATM. I never really thought about the [insert expletive]'s poor poor feelings when I did it. Protective Brother Syndrome. Being unarmed, it wasn't the smartest move with the most tact, but there was instinct behind it. Is that what you're talking about?

Thanks for direction, kevin.

STTAOW--

Yes, honoring and acting forcefully upon that deserving instinct is precisely what I'm speaking to. You should be proud it's not been extinguished in you by your liberal "teachers". You must be willing to go against the grain of modern "sensitivity". Good for you. Now. Still read Cooper for the timeless precepts of Gentlemanliness that underly civilized self defense. You will also find there valuable rules on alertness and "timing". Good to have you as a fellow Citizen. You should do well.

The ability to shoot is good, but its nothing without the will to do it... Read Gavin De Beckers "The Gift of Fear", and Col Dave Grossmans "On Killing".
    If you love wealth more than liberty... We ask not your council or your arms... May posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
    - Samuel Adams

STTAOW -

I'm sure you'll get good advice here about what type, caliber of handgun, etc. My comments are short and to the point: whatever you choose to pack, make sure you get enough training and pracrice to use it second nature, and don't hesitate to use it. He (or she) who hesitates risks getting shot with his (or her) own gun. And lead traveling at 1,000 feet or so per second is a much better persuader than the words, "Stop, or I'll shoot!"

--Mike