Thread: Small vs. Medium stove pipe diameter

Default Small vs. Medium stove pipe diameter

Is there a difference between the diameter of the stovepipe with a small vs. medium stove? I know that the small stove is recommended only for the para and 4 man but I was wondering if I could get a longer stovepipe for my current small stove and put it in a 6 or 8 man. Granted, the heat output would be much lower than the medium stove but virtually 100% of the use will be above 10F.

--Jonathan
    --Jonathan

Default Re: Small vs. Medium stove pipe diameter

I think the Small is a 3 1/2" and the Med/Large are a 4".

I'm going to try the pipe from my Large stove on my Small stove at some point. I could see a real use for early season when all that will be needed in my 8 man will be to take the chill off.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

I put a small stove in a 6-man tipi. It worked just fine. I ran the stove with a very long 8 foot stove pipe. Draft was very good.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

So a longer 3.5" pipe can be had for a price? Glad to hear that there are no draft problems. Rolling that beast out inside a tipi has to be an interesting experience though...
    --Jonathan

Once you burn the pipe it is no problem. Not much harder that the 4-foot pipe. I just setup the pipe up outside the 6-man.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------