Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears and Camp sites...

imported_honeycomb Guest

Default Bears and Camp sites...

Hello to all and good afternoon.

I just recently spoke with Patrick. And, at his request I am now making an observation on 'Bears and camp sites'.

I am not new to Bears. I have grown up in mountain lion and Black bear country all my life. (Except when I was in the Navy.)

I never was concerned about the bears. (Mountian Lions or Puma's yes always concerned. I run and hike alone in the great outdoors.)

My comments to Patrick was about the Tipi I say distroyed by a bear on the web page. He told me it was from a hunter that left his camp site for some time only to return and find it trashed.

I must have missed that in the story.

The trick we always used (other than what you read on the message board about food and eating and cooking no were near the camp site) was 'MOTHBALLS'.

Work your way around the camp site and to this day I have never had a bear get near my site. (I also never leave the site for more than a day at a time either.)

I have seen bear tracks up to the mothballs and then you see them turn and go the other way. So I know that they work in my experience.

As a side note. Bears are looking for an easy meal. They live by there tummmmmies and see throught there nose. They would prefer to stay clear of humans. To point this out, I don't have the reference in front of me so I am working from memory, in the last 100 years Black Bears have only killed 5 people in North America. Three (3) of those in Canada (even they get cabin fever, aye). Two in America.

I have seen footage of a guide running over and grabbing a cub from a sow. She didn't like it but she charged to 9 feet and stopped. (I don't recommend this technique to anyone by the way.) He gave the cub back and all was well.

I have walked up on Black Bears in American and Canada on fishing trips and some had cubs. I walked up to withing feet (by accident) of such a Sow and cubs and they looked at me and I turned around and gave them the fishing hole. (Pretty kind of me don't you think?) They wanted no part of me.

On the other hand I have never had a face to face encounter with a Brown or Polar Bear. (So Black Bears are some what of my thrust in this topic.)

I am not a looking to provoke anyone if they have different views.

Just letting you know I DO NOT fear the Bears or there temperment in the outdoors. I am careful not to tempt the Bears and in return I have never had a bad experience. (Now for the Mountian Lions and Puma's that is a different story. Care a BIG GUN is the best advice if you must travel alone in the woods.)

Good luck and don't worry about BEARS. It is like the JAW'S movie. You have a better chance of dying from a coconut falling (8 deaths a year) from a tree than actually having Bear trouble in North America.

Best wishes to you and yours,

Jason
    Ex-Navy and Airline Pilot

Default Re: Bears and Camp sites...

you make a strong argument for carrying moth balls Jason. Thanks!

Mothballs would likely repel lots of critters. If they smell strong to us think what the effect is on a nose that is sensitive.

This may be another argument for wool (mothball protected) clothing.

"If they smell strong to us think what the effect is on a nose that is sensitive."

I thought about this, then watched my dog sniff another dogs ass.
    If you love wealth more than liberty... We ask not your council or your arms... May posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
    - Samuel Adams

Sgathak, [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

A quick search shows eight fatal black bear encounters in NA since 2000, about 50 deaths in the last 100 years. I didn't bother with stats for non-fatal attacks. While black bears are still not as dangerous as falling coconuts, they aren't exactly 'teddy bears' either.

Recently had a possum that was camping in a campground toilet, I used moth flakes and the animal didn't come back!
    If you work hard and intelligently, you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole, purpose of education."

What do the mothballs do other than give off an obnoxious odor that the animals don't like? Are these odors strong enough to mask the food odor when cooking in a tipi? All of my bear experience has been with brownies up in Alaska, mainly fiarbanks and farhte north, but everytime I was out we had lots of firepower so it wasn't too much of a concern. I'm going to start a new job in a few weeks in pretty heavy black bear country and have stories of the little thieves untying food bags from trees (even when done up right) so if moth balls work better than that's my solution, plus bear bagging food nags every night is a pain in the arse.

I can't say if mothballs work on bears but they did not work on my three dogs. As an experiment, I set a piece of fried chicken on a piece of foil and surrounded it with 3 very stinky mothballs and set it in the garage. I checked on it in about 1/2 hr. The chicken was gone and the foil was shredded, the moth balls were scattered around the garage. I didn't bother to take mothballs with me on my Alaska mooseless hunt.

imported_honeycomb Guest

Shu,

Can you tell me where you got your facts?

I have not looked at this in over a year BUT I don't believe the 50 fatal in one hundred years.

I have had this discussion with forrestry folks around the country and I have never heard of that many attacks much less fatal events.

I am not slapping you around BUT I would like to know where the facts you site are.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, as for the dogs.....I believe it was mentioned that they lick their own a%&...well you get the point.

Bears don't normally live in a house and eat a lot of people food. (What else was in the garage. I bet it was not prestine nature and soft smells like outdoors. And three mothballs in any enviornment will not do the trick.) And, as we know a Bear that has lost respect for humans and loves people food will be hard to stop at any measure. (Gun excluded!)

Thanks for your attention.

Jason