Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another bashing.

Default Another bashing.

Didnít want to steal the previous thread but felt strongly on this topic. Kevin, this is no reflection on how the board is moderated. Personally, you have a thankless job but I believe there is plenty of evidence that without it this board would slink to a worthless site. However I am in agreement with Catfish in that a few individuals take opportunities to poke others in the eye and the rest of the board suffers as a result. I donít want to rehash prior threads that discussed various personalities of different individuals but the fact of the matter is that Jerry has made a significant contribution to the board in his discussions on insulation. Particularly with what sounded to me as a hostile audience. As always, itís up to each individual to determine the merits and how they want to make use of that information. So, yes Catfish, in my opinion the board suffers from another bashing and Kevin, you canít moderate the board 7x24. The best you can do is put a stop to a fight and warn the participants. But ultimately it is up to the members to take responsibility for the atmosphere of the board through their own actions and how they in return want to be treated. Create a hostile environment and knowledgeable individuals will leave, to the lost of us dumber people. But then again, us dumber individuals can then all get together and proclaim how smart we are and no one will tell us otherwise. Until maybe Mother Nature smacks us in the face. Those are my thoughts. Mike.

Default Re: Another bashing.

I would agree. Knowledgeable people can have opposite experience and opinions for the same situation. It would seem easy to not comment or just relate your opposing experience without adding any insults. Most people are happy when they find a system that works for them, this does not mean it is the best, only that it works. I would have to think we will loose the more experienced people if they are insulted. In the end the consumer, of this information, will decide what is right for them.

The funny thing is that you never see people who own a Wiggy bag bad mouthing down bags and questioning the judgement of people who carry them; but you check out other threads here and the down bag folks just can't help themselves - they have to make their "if you are stupid enough to carry the weight and too stupid to keep your bag dry..." remarks at every chance.

I ran some whitewater last weekend in my kayak. The creek we ran was in the bottom of a steep, rocky canyon. At one point we pulled up at a shallow spot and brewed up some hot coffee by balancing the stove on top of a kayak deck while we stood knee deep in icy water because there was no place to beach and take a break. If somebody needed to be wrapped in a bag to ward off hypothermia in a place like that - a down bag would soon be useless.

I have no problem with anybody who uses down. I respect them, their choices and understand their reasoning. Too bad the down bag snobs can't return the favor.

Get a life dude. You see - you just can't live and let live - can you? You have to stick your nose into stuff and try and start a fight, don't you? You seem kind of defensive. Why is that?

Most of your bashing posts have been deleted Emmerson

I own a number of down and synthetic bags. I tend to use what ever would be better for the intended or expected conditions. No single filling is the best for all conditions. Both are very servicable. Use what ever tickles your fancy; live and let live. I do resent people who think they know what is best for everyone, especially when they lack experience and have not even tried the other insulator. All materials have plusses and minuses. We can't all affoard to try every new product that comes on to the market. Boards like thise one are invaluable because they allow you to tap into the experiences of others who may have tried something you are interested in. Let us keep it positive, focused on equipment, and not get bogged down in personality clsahes...Rusty.

Wow, I've been reading this forum for years now and I can't remember one bash of a Wiggy's bag by the "down" users. Especially where terms like "stupid" are used. All I ever hear around here is "to each his own" and a variety of great ideas and nothing but good where Wiggy's is concerned. I must have missed those comments.

I like down bag with the Gortex bivy but I also own and use synthetic bags. I like the down bag better and I have never gotten it wet due to the bivy cover. When I carry my synthetic bag I also use a bivy cover. I would never believe that someone using a synthetic bag know any more or less than someone using a down bag. Both have their good points and bad points. No single item is perfect.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

One more thing. I am going camping right now. Packing up the paratipi! Have fun all.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

Mike, I've got to agree, I've stopped posting on the Kifaru forums, at least temporarily , exactly because of the continued "bashings" it by a select few. It's just not how I want to spend my time. Eight month ago Kifaru was my favorite site. To each his own.