Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to start a fire in the stove?

Default Best way to start a fire in the stove?

Not that I'm a ham fisted guy, but the opening to the stove seems a bit small to work with/through while starting a fire. What have you found to be the best way to get her going in a hurry? (sans petroleum based assistance!)

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

Default Re: Best way to start a fire in the stove?

Well there are two ways I use to start most fires. Pine tar works great. Any pine tree will have it in chunks next to any damage in the bark or broken limb. The stuff burns like plastic. A chuck the size of a nickel will burn for up to 4-5 minutes. But I also carry some cotton balls mixed with petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline). You can carry 30 in a small plastic bag. What is even better is that you donít even need a match to light the things. Just a spark will do. Just pull the cotton ball apart place in the door of the stove under the wood and spark it or use a match and bingo the cotton ball will burn for up the 6 minutes and will start the stove every time. This method also works great on campfires.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

Hmmm...sorry, I probably should have clarified my question. (I have no problems starting a fire with or without 'modern' materials. No problemo.) I have a question as to how members of the message board deal with the tiny opening of the stove and building the fire. Start and stuff?

I'd just as soon get a consensus on what process people use to quickly and efficiently build a useful fire in the stove given the smallish opening.

Patrick? EdT?

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

I prop two larger sticks diagonally inside the stove box making and X. I then pile kindling , sticking it through the top part of the X, going to the back of the stove. I then place a peice of trioxane on a long flat stick, light it, and then shove the stick under the kindling pile.

By "tiny" do you mean the parastove?

Bushcraft
    I fire up my stove quickly and efficiently exactly the way Woods Walker does. Small sticks big sticks cotton balls vasoline. Dry sticks are sometimes good.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Bushcraft--

My technique is close to Shawns. I place two 1-1 1/2" sticks about three inches apart long-wise in the stove. Then criss-cross kindling atop these "braces". Then put the trioxane on a flat "serving chip" and place beneath the above. I then let this assemblage get underway, burning well. THEN start to add more kindling, more mid-size stuff, etc. Do NOT stuff the whole stove and fire it off, which is practically guaranteed to produce smoke blow-back into the tipi. Bottom line--build with some gradualness. It's not THAT slow a process; once you learn the drill you'll see that you can get a good fire going in very short order.

Well it has been summed up pretty well. IMO the most important aspect is building a grate out of wood in the bottom of the stove. As Patrick mentioned with his two sticks in the bottom. The better the grate the better the fire is what I have found.
    Scott
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Author Unknown

Patrick how much time do you spend winter camping?Ie:lots of snow etc.never do much because of size of wall tent and weight it just is too much to set up and take down then trying to make sure canvas is dry for packing away.I already have a spot to hang tipi to dry being the weight is so small it won,t be any problem.Want to try to get my kids into a little winter camping next year.They have some provincial parks up here that have wood and all for winter camping, plowed out sites etc.sounnds like it might be just the ticket for the winter blahs..

The best way to get a blaze going in my opinion is the exact same way Patrick does it. I have a small stove and this way hasn't failed me yet. I guess the one thing I have learned so far about getting a real nice fire going in the stove is having an adequate supply of wood. I generally have three little piles going inside my para with a small pile of starter branches and small twigs, a second slightly larger pile of finger thick branches and finally a much larger pile of wrist or forearm thick split pieces. I have discovered from past experiences that anything larger in my small stove doesn't burn that great and at the same time cramming it full of wood is of no real benefit either.