Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no one heard of this.

Default no one heard of this.

thermocell.mosquitoe repellent.

Default Re: no one heard of this.

what is it 12 man??

dave
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

According to their site (http://www.mosquitorepellant.com) it is an electrically heated "mat" of allethrin repellant in the same family of chemical as is in permethryn insecticide (crysanthemum byproduct). It heats the pad, releasing the chemical to the air. In that sense, it should work, if this allethrin chemical is effective as a repellant and not just an insecticide.

I dont know what it weighs, but its under $30 (as low as $12) and if it does its job, it might not be a bad peice of kit.
    If you love wealth more than liberty... We ask not your council or your arms... May posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
    - Samuel Adams

These things are very popular in Latin America - They work well for an average sized bedroom. You use one wafer per night. I've only seen plug-in models - are there battery powered models?

Stan

Dave.Never heard of the thing before and just wanted to know if anyone else had.If lightweight and works well on your person while hunting and in the tipi it might be just the ticket.thanks

Stan, apparently the portable models run on butane.

they WORK!!! I know treestand hunters (bear or dear) in mosquito country swear by them, crank em up and set it under your seat--no squitos near you.

They aren't cheap to run--the wafers and special butane cartridges add up, but work better than most other options.

If mosquito coils work for you, keep using them (lighter and cheaper) but if they don't this thing might. I think it addes up to between a pound and two depending on how many cartridges you carry.

12 man,

Have you ever heard of citrinella oil. totally safe you can bath in it and it will keep all forms of insects away, cheap as can be.

Rambler Wannabe

Is it safe for humans in a concentrated amount (like inside a Tipi)? Permethryn is considered non-toxic to mammals, but Ive also read that Perm used in conjunction with Deet has been linked to nerve conditions.
    If you love wealth more than liberty... We ask not your council or your arms... May posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
    - Samuel Adams

I have enough nerve conditions thanks.