Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Para Tipi vs 4 man vs Para tarp

Default Para Tipi vs 4 man vs Para tarp

Hello all,

I have been reading your posts for some time now and finally signed up so here I am asking for help. I am bouncing back and forth between the Para tarp/Para tipi and 4 man. I live in Washington state and hunt and roam the olympics more that anywhere else so my main concern with the Para tipi or the 4 man is finding a place to sent it up! I have been thinking of getting a Para tarp stove combo for awhile but I keep thinking that the Para Tipi may be a better idea and that I could use it with a kid or two? so I guess my question is with those three options what would you all recommend? understand that I am in the navy so the second tipt would have to wait till my savings could handle it!

Default Re: Para Tipi vs 4 man vs Para tarp

I would definately go with at least the Paratipi. I would not go any less for a normal use tent. If you get the tarp I would view it more as an emergency shelter if there is no other option. My debate is between the paratipi and the 4 man tipi. I am just trying to figure out weight of tent and stove needed. I will probably start off with the para and small stove and then move up as I convince my better half to join me in rambling. I think it can be done, but I have to get her comfortable...

Smackdaddyj
    A dog is not a man's best friend. A well trained protection dog is a man's best friend. To learn more visit www.dk-9.com.

I have been thinking the same way. I just like the weight on the tarp and the fact that I can set it up anywhere as a tent or a tarp shelter. to me it looks like the foot print on the 4 man and the Para tipi look about the same so I might go with the 4 man since I have my eye on it for use with my kids. I just seams like stove and tipi would be a lot of weight to carry around alone. it does sound like you can pitch it even on uneven ground though so it might just be the ticket. looks like the 4 man with stove is about 2 pounds heavier.

hick, I bought the 6 man and large stove. I don't do much solo so I spread the weight by 2 guys. If you are planning on kids with any regularity, I'd be looking 4 or 6. I want a paraT for fast light two man hunts but for a man and one or two kids?

The other thing about the weight is that if the kids can bear any weigth beyond thier own bag/clothes, you can share the overall and make the add lbs for the 4 or 6 worth the time. If you will solo more for now, get the para then save up. But Having been in the 8 and 6, I doubt I'd want to spend more than a little time with 3 people in a 4 man. In some respects I think I should have bought the 8. Anyhow, I'd like a para, 6 and 12 for the varying # of folks I might have and a tarp for backup away from camp shelter.
    Angelfarts Sausage Co. Get way-back, powered by Angelfarts.

okay I now I am thinking starting with a para tipi then in a couple of years when my younger kids get a little older getting a 6 or 8 man and splitting the load between all of us. I must admit I am still thinking of getting a 4 man for a starter instead of the para but I am not sure if the about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of diffrence are worth it. I like the extra room in the 4 man. does any one pack one of them solo and if you could do it again would you still go solo with the 4 man?

huntinhick

I solo with a 4-man primarily because we have 12 hours of darkness at this latitude by mid October and 14 hours by the end of rifle season. For me, that translates to 4 to 6 hours awake in the shelter. I'm willing to carry a little extra weight for the comfort of the extra space for storing and drying gear, and just plain moving around.

Hey Dave,

Did you catch up with a big mulie in the Big Belts?

Ed T

Nah, Ed, just as I arrived home for the last week of the season I got nailed by the flu. Sucked it up and got out for a couple of days. Passed on small ones and tracked a biggun for six hours but never caught up in my condition. He'll be an even bigger big boy next year. I chose to make a coastal waterfowl, fishing and clamming trip to WA rather than hunt the extended elk season around Dillon.

I'll be down at the Blackfoot Brewery at 6:30 on Tuesday if you're interested in a draft.

HH, like the others, I would think a formal tent (tipi type) would be best to start off with. I bought the paratarp as a special purpose shelter and it does great in that role. Mainly, as a quick, small, light weight shelter for early fall trips w ith no real weather expected. And as a "just in case" shelter to take on short trips.

Eventually, over time, I bet you end up with both in your collection. My thoughts would be to start with the Tipi or Paratipi first, though.

Here's a couple of pictures (some posted before) that may help you.

I don't understand the weight issue. A four man is still lighter than most 2-man tents. I have an 8 and wouldn't think twice about soloing in it. Unless one is talking about a big-time backpack trip or ramble.
    I think that most who begin tipiing find themselves wanting more space eventually..especially when they begin spending some time around that stove. All of a sudden a new world opens up and year-round camping/backpacking can be had.
    I say go for the biggest rig you can afford, especially with a growing family.
    At least the 4-man............