Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag liner recomendations?

Default Sleeping bag liner recomendations?

Although I'm a warm sleeper, I had to tempt fate this year and push my 40 degree bag beyond it's limits, and ended up cold at night around 32 deg. I solved that with the use of my emergency space blanket that made a world of difference. I really love packing only 20 ounces of sleeping bag, and want to keep from taking my winter bag if possible. What experience have folks had with lightweight, reuseable bag liners that would bridge this gap? At the time, I was dressed in dry undergarments, fleece pullover, socks and fleece hat. I think a liner would be more useful than 5+lbs of extra clothing.

Default Re: Sleeping bag liner recomendations?

For 20 oz. you could carry another sleeping bag. Then just put one inside the other. Another possible angle: make sure you've got real good insulation below. If you're using a Thermarest, you might put a "blue foam" pad under it. Being a geezer, I would rather carry a 6 pound sleeping bag than sleep cold, more power to you.

Dales suggestions are good. An inner sleeping bag can be very light and should have an untreated/uncoated exterior. Check the inside masurement of your sleeping bag and try to get one a bit smaller (squishing the insulation is ineffective). Campmor, EMS and REI all carry various makes of microfleece liners that are pretty good. Thermolite has one for about $70 (EMS) that is guaranteed to add 15 degrees to the bag, but I can't vouch for it. Their other products are good, so I have no reason to think this wouldn't be. It's also compact, as I recall it's about 4" dia x 6" or so in its own stuff sack. Probably could be left in your bag and stuffed into the same stuff sack.

I've seen liners in cotton and silk as well as nonwoven nylon but I'd stick with the microfleece.

The fleece bags will surely increase the range, and are light but a bit bulky, 2-3 times the size of the microfleece. If you have room in the pack they are worth a look.

You might also consider a light overbag/bivy sack.

I'm in the Adirondacks and early season can vary a bit in temperature (to say the least). I have taken to carrying the Thermolite emergency sleeping bag as an overbag. This is an aluminized fabric bag with foot ventilation - not as stiff as the space blanket nor as fragile as the rescue blanket. I used it once last year and it did seem to add warmth in my unscientific judgement. Thermolite also makes a blanket style. both are around $20-25.

Thanks for the input. I looked at that Thermolite in EMS, 15 degrees extra at only 9 ounces?? Hmmm.. sounds a bit optimistic. Worth a look, I guess. Looks like REI has some similar models that I'll have to check out.

I think it may be optimistic, too. It is also about $60 as I recall, so I don't have one. - yet.

Liners can be surprising, though. The space between the liner and the inside of the bag can be insulative, too, this may have something to do with it. It is also a lot easier to wash a liner than a whole sleeping bag.

Spence,

What you experienced with your space blanket was one of the unique albiet fickle aspects of a vapor barrier liner. Your space blanket helped keep the moist air around your body and the shiny surface reflected the infrared heat back as well. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air and moist air holds more heat. Western Mountaineering makes a vbl liner bag with the same characteristics as your space blanket, weighs about four ounces, lasts much longer, and costs about 18 times as much.

If you would like a good discussion on vapor barrier go to http://www.warmlite.com. A person can save a lot of weight by their use and gain up to ten more degrees F in sleeping bag range.
    Have fun, RD

RD,
    Thanks for the link, very interesting reading. My next step was to experiment with a trash bag as a VB for kicks.

I can vouch for the thermolite--it looks like nothing more than T-shirt material but put it inside a shell and it is incredible. I think it is about twice as effective as the silk liner I was using before and a lot more durable.

My only complaint the size--it is too short for me so I usually just cinch it below my armpits and go with it.

Be careful w/ VBL's, they work very differently above 30F than they do below, I wouldn't mess with one until below 0F.

You may not be able to get a second bag for 20 oz (since it needs to be big enough to layer with the one you have). I am a firm believer in the overbag concept when done right--it can add so much flexibility for very little weight gain. I have a 35F bag, the thermolite liner (8 oz w/o stuff sack) and will build/buy something like a Big Agnes Cross Mountain or Yampa. My total weight for the winter kit may be about a pound heavier than one bag for the same max rating but I will be COMFORTABLE anywhere from -10 to 70 which is a nice feature when a trip includes several thousand feet of elevation change between camps and shoulder season for weather.

I am going to look very seriously at that Thermolite liner. Even in midsummer around here the nights can get downright chilly, Having a compact way of adding 15 degrees is very attractive.

As a boy, before I got a sleeping bag (pads weren't invented yet) I used blankets. One folded in quarters beneath me as a pad and one or two wrapped around and quickly found that 2-3 lb blankets were warmer than 1-6lb blanket because of the extra trapped air between them.