Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tipi pictures
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipi pictures

Default Tipi pictures

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could post more pictures of your tipis. I really enjoy looking at them. How about some of those cold weather stories to go along with them?
    I'm buying a 4 man/medium stove early next month. I'm hoping your pictures and stories hold me over until then. {No I am not a dork} [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Default Re: Tipi pictures

I can't offer you pics, OP, but I hve the exact same setup as you are getting. It's a real simple design to setup, even if you are alone. But, it takes time and tons of practice to get "excellent" at it. Just going in your backyard and setting it up day after day will help you get good at setup-time and meeasuring. My mistake: my girlfriend and I have done most of the practice together. It's different when I solo out and she wasn't there. If you are doing this alone, praactice alone. If you have a partner, practice with the partner. Just keep the practice the same as the application. Don't let me make you think that the tipi is "hard" to setup. Actually, it's a piece of cake. But like all gear, there are little aspects that you want to be awarrre of in order to make it all easier. If the weeather is minutes from turning on yoou, you want to be able to put the thing up right, the first time.

You'll love it!
    Copper

Cheat for measuring: tie a piece of cord onto the stake loop and put a knot at the right distance. You get the stake in the right place in seconds even in the dark.

I use permanent marker on my aluminum center pole to mark the distances for my setbacks...this works great, but probably not as good as wannabe's "in the dark cords"....also every year or so you have to remark as the ink wears off a little bit.

OP....forget about the cold weather....if you are near fuel for your stove, you will never want for warmth whilst camping. Cruise the website for approximations of how various size stoves perform in cold weather....my tipi can get so hot at 15 degrees outside that I have to open the doors!! I tested it in my back yard at 5 degrees several winters ago, and I still had to open the doors!!

Dave
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

I may have you beat, Dave! I have every single durapeg marked with sharpie for setback points and my center poles are marked with a number and corresponding arrow pointing up to make sure it's right the firrst time!!

Then, I have a backup set of instructions laminated and stuck in my pack...just in case!

Patrick must think we are wimps. I think that as soon as we "humans" figure out one of his gizmos, he rolls out another. [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey OP, here are a few tipi pics for you. I remember before/after I bought my tipi, I also wanted to see more pics... lots of them. Unfortunately, Patrick doesn't keep many on the commercial site (not sure why?). Here ya go...

[6-man and paratarp]

[6-man, CO, Fall Elk Hunt]

[6-man, CO, Spring Turkey Hunt]

[6-man, NE, Spring Turkey Hunt]

[8-man (bear destroyed 6-man [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] ), WY, Fall Deer Hunt]
    "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt

Patrick, I can see how a 'tipi photo book' page on your commercial site would be valuable for new and existing customers. Apparantly our chat thread from this spring about 'how you (Patrick) use your equipment' was a valuable addition to the site... I would think the 'photo book' would be as well! Just a thought...
    "The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation, INCREASED and NOT IMPAIRED in value." Theodore Roosevelt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patrick, I can see how a 'tipi photo book' page on your commercial site would be valuable for new and existing customers. Apparantly our chat thread from this spring about 'how you (Patrick) use your equipment' was a valuable addition to the site... I would think the 'photo book' would be as well! </div></div>I agree 100%. I will be buying a tipi in the future. I have carefully studied the photos on the website, posts on this board, and ordered the printed catalog. None of that compares to the pictures posted above as far as conveying to me the relative size and space of a particular size tipi. The photo above showing the chair inside the tipi provides a frame of reference for a scale that everyone can relate to ( a chair). Suddenly, with one glance, it gives me an absolute idea of just how big a six man is as far as height and internal size. Looking at that pic, I can envision myself sitting in that chair, warming by the stove, getting dressed, etc. I can't envision myself doing any of that when I look at the 'dancing stick man' diagrams in the catalog.

We all know Patrick makes the finest in packs and shelters, but I gotta say, the little diagrams of the tipi's with the little stick man dancing a jig in them doesn't do them justice.

A page or two of user submited pics would go a long way toward making the website as nice as the gear.

Ok, got it. I'm passing this on to Maggie for implementation. BTW COGriz, those are fine pix. Especially the Fall Elk Hunt. That location is pretty close to my ideal of Heaven. I forget, is that Wyoming or Colorado country? Doesn't matter much, both states have plenty of similar terrain. Indeed, a great many places like that reside in the West. Yahoo.

I have been sitting on this site for a while and i agree that the pics above are outstanding for giving space inside the tipi a more realistic look and something to compare sizes.Will look forward to a photo book.Thanks Rob