Thread: Five Oz Breathable Rain Jacket

Default Five Oz Breathable Rain Jacket

I have received a number of flyfishing catalogs so far this week. Two of them have featured a 5 Oz waterproof breathable rain jacket by the William Joseph Co for about 60.00 bucks each. The jacket packs down into its own self-contained pouch, has velcro adjustable cuffs, a coardlock draw coard in the hood, two front angler type verticle zippered high pockets, and a full length zipper with an Led Light zipper pull.

Two sizes are available: S/M - 34 to 38" chest, L/XL - 40 to 46" chest. Two colors: Slate Green and Orange. Not recomended for typhoons but fine for fishing, jogging, golf, biking and general outdoor use. It appears to be a slim fit type garment with a well designed hood, and the company name and logo stincled unobtrusively on the sleeves and chest.

Avalible through:

http://www.feather-craft.com

http://www.theflyshop.com

Rusty

Default Re: Five Oz Breathable Rain Jacket

I have been using the full zip version of this:http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTI...&promo_cat_id=

The Patagonia Specter. I have used mine hard and it's held up very well. Patrick has one as well. Quite a bit pricier than the William Joseph thou.

Ed T

Ed T: I don't know if they are the same material; there is no description of the material being used in these rain jackets on the catalog listings. But at 5 ounces and 50.00 bucks plus shipping, they might be worth a try. Kind of makes you wish they also had pants, but a lot of fishermen would be wearing waders anyway, so perhaps they have pants and the fishing catalogs just don't stock them.

Here is some information on a couple of similar products with pants..Rusty.

http://www.backpacking.net/rainshield-review.html

I am wondering what the caveat "not typhoon worthy" conveys. I bought my Specter as my rain jacket, period, meaning real-deal all-day rain rain rain. The Specter will also double as three season do-everything outer shell--rain/wind/warmth. It proved breathable enough for this purpose in the early morning mist on my recent Maui coast Ramble. Will the William Joseph number do all this, at even lighter weight?

For once, I am going to hold onto my shekels and "educatedly" surmise that it won't. One of you guys can go first. If it really does perform ALL the tasks my Specter will, report back here. And I will pounce on it like a turkey on a June bug. The Specter can become my go-to garment for bunny-hugger outdoor cocktail parties. But I'm betting ol' Brother Chouinard wins this one.

Hmmm, I saw that jacket too. The company that makes them is a flyfishing oriented one so hence the lack of pants. Frog Toggs has come out with a beefier version this year. Even has a nice neutral color.

The review of the Rainshield products indicated that duribility may be the weak point of these new super light weight products. The waterproofness and breathability were impressive. Like Patrick, I am going also hang on to my money and keep using my Dancing Light Rain Gear; it doesn't breath but it's a lot stronger and about as light in weight and as compressiblen as these newer products. Plus I can use it as a vapor barrier in sleeping bags.

I don't really need rain gear around here all that much. The Dancing Light did fine for me the few times I have used it in rain and snow. It just gets carried most of the time, so the lack of weight and bulk are just as important to me as the bombproof waterproofness is.It has worked better for me than the Frog Togs did, and it is stronger, lighter and a lot more compressible...Rusty.

Is this the stuff that looks and feels like Tyvek?

Disillusioned: The Rainshield was said to have a paper-like feel similar to the Frog Togs but it was much more waterproof and breathed better. A fairly good jerk between your hands would easily tear it. It probably wouldn't stand up to a typhoon type wind without tearing. Brush would probably shread it pretty quickly.

The Dancing Light rain gear is made out of a silnylon material, like Patrick uses for the Kifaru Tipis. I don't know if this answers your question but it's the best that I can do. Hopefully, Ed or Patrick will have more input for you...Rusty.

I did email the Wm Joseph company about the lightweight jacket about what material it is made from and what is its rating to Gore tex. No answer in about 5 days time so far.

One user review I found on the Will Joe rain jacket: Reviewed By: Brad W. Wiitala Big Pine, CA
    'I bought this jacket after I saw it mentioned on the backpackinglight.com website. They stated it weighed under 5 oz. The advertisement also states the same number.

The large jacket I bought was just a shade over 10 oz. I can't believe a large jacket doubles the weight over a medium sized jacket. Once again, there is some exaggeration on the part of being ultralight.

Besides the exaggerated weight, it is a very nice rain jacket.'

While on Backpackinglight.com, I saw the Drop Stoppers Micropore Rainsuit review. Similar to Frogtogg material. 10oz of jacket and pants. Very cheap.
    Anyone use these yet?