Thread: Pulling the trigger

Default Pulling the trigger

Ok.....

So I have kicked around the idea time and time again....

I'm doing it and I need your opinions.

I am 5-9" - 34" waist - 170 pounds - Torso length 20" ( I measured it does this sound right?)

Using this pack for up to 10 day back country hunts / Packing out meat.

I am looking at getting one of the following:

Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames Duplex Lite/Ultralight: Duplex Frame Ultralight 1/16"; Frame Length: 24"; Shoulder Strap Length: Long (18" Torso or longer); Belt Size: Medium (34" - 38" waist); Belt/Shoulder Strap Color: Coyote Brown (Height: 5-9"; Weight: 170; Waist Size: 34; Inseam: 34; Back Profile: Normal)
    And
    Cargo Panel Cargo Panel Color: Coyote Brown ( I WILL USE DRY BAGS TO PUT MY GEAR IN)

OR THIS OPTION:

22" and 24" Tactical Platform Frame And Suspension Shoulder Strap/Belt Color: Coyote Brown; Stay Options: Ultralight Composite Stays; Frame Length: 24"; Belt Size: Medium Duplex Belt (34"-38" (Your Height: 5-9; Your Weight: 170; Waist Size: 34; Your Inseam: 34; Back Profile: Normal)
    And
    Mountain Warrior(5,750ci / 94Liters Bag Only) Color: Coyote Brown; Top Lid: Guide Lid (1,200ci)

OR THIS OPTION

Tarryall (3200ci / 52.4Liters) Tarryall (3200ci / 52.4Liters) Color: Highlander; Stay Options: Composite Stays; Belt Size: Medium (34" - 38") (Your Height: 5-9; Your Weight: 170; Your Waist Size: 34; Your Inseam: 34; Your Back Profile (Normal or Flat): normal)

Give me your thought please on these three different setups.

Thanks

Default Re: Pulling the trigger

Also Can someone explain to me what a guide lid is? And would that be practical for a 24" frame? Im trying to avoid the longer frame because I dont like the back of my head hitting the pack.

Your definitely NOT going to want a Tarryall for a 10 day backcountry hunt. It will be to small and the suspension is not as good as the frames. I would do at least a 24in frame and a bag like the mountains warrior, Muskeg, or Nomad 2. They offer different bags depending on how you like to organize your gear.

Mallard,
    Medic 16 is right on the money. They frame will give you many more options and is much more comfortable for a trips past a few days. The Guide lid is a quick way to add 1200 cubic inches to your pack to stretch out the capacity. It also has built in stow-able straps to use as a smaller pack if needed. At your height, a 24" frame would be a good choice and all of our bags would work very well on it. I will say that if you are planning on using the Cargo panel, the Tactical frame will be a better match for hauling weird loads. The Ultra light and Lite frames have an opening in the back that awkward loads could exploit. That opening does promote a lot of airflow however if that's something you're looking for.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net