Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Death by SPAM

Default Forum Update

Afternoon everyone,
    Today I am sad to inform the Community here that we must shut down the forums on Monday the 29th. This place has long been a free sharing of knowledge, stories, gear and camaraderie which I know a lot of people will miss. Unfortunately, the Internet has reared its ugly head and we can no longer keep up with the amount of spam accounts that constantly flood our inboxes through the forums. We will have blog posts from Patrick, Aron and guest authors and I will have write ups on new gear coming down the pipeline. If you wish to be in the know on events, we will be hosting such as the Rondy's or gear swaps, please email me and I will make sure you are on the mailing list. If you would also like to contribute to the blog, have any questions or concerns or just want to shoot the **** you are always welcome to email me as well.

Thank you for the many years of discussions and your loyalty to our company's forum. We very much appreciate you all and wish that this forum could keep being a part of our community.

Again, many thanks and most appreciated. Please hit me up if you guys have any concerns.

Eric
    Last edited by Bender; 04-23-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Aloha Kakou from somewhere beween the Oscillations

Default Re: Forum Update

..... Whoa
    MojoSlim

Never thought I would see the day. Been posting since 2004. Its been fun looking at old posts from back then.

That's too bad. Lot's of good stuff here. Even my arguments with Ralph over the years were great fun. I miss those chats with him and wish I had traveled to meet the man.

Also got a lot of good gear off the forum too - a pulk and a paratipi.

Came here just now to read one of Sawtooth's posts from 2017 that I remembered but could not recall the name of the gear he was writing about - found it: the Banks Fry-Bake pan! I may just get one of these.

Perhaps adding two factor authentication tied to an active cell-phone # would help?

I had to disable a forum I was running too due to spam. And my ftp server gets attacked all the time too.

MT
    If A then B; ~B; Therefore ???

http://modustollens.org/

Sad to see the forums go away. I'm not much into IG and all those "new" kind of places. I suggest posting this in the FS section with the header stating "Kifaru Forums Closing Permanently 4/29/19" so everyone is aware.

Any chance the forums could be kept as searchable archives? No posting, just the ability to read/use all the old info on here...i really enjoy going thru Patricks ramblings occasionally.

Either way, thanks for hosting this as long as you have.

zr

Modust - There was some pretty nefarious stuff trying to hide itself in the fake accounts. Got to be too dangerous and time consuming to weed it all out and we have a very small IT department that has to concentrate on running the company.

LMT - Good idea, didn't think of that.

Zane - There is a ton of good information here, I will see what the IT guys say on keeping it a searchable archive.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Ever thought of vetting individual people that would be willing to volunteer to moderate the forums. I know most forums are ran and moderated by dedicated volunteers. Just a thought.

I'm really sorry to hear that, although the forum has been dying a slow death from neglect the past few years.

I have long thought this could be a more significant community with even a part-time person and a few volunteer moderators to enhance the content. Heck, I'd have thrown my own hat into the ring for that. There are other good communities like BCUSA and Rokslide, but they both go in a different direction than has been what you find here. I wish there was another option.

I do suggest you consider one possible unintended consequence as well. One of the appealing things about purchasing sight unseen Kifaru items is that you always knew you could flip it for 80-90 cents on the dollar right here on the trade forum. If this whole forum goes away then there won't be as easy of a place to move gear. Sure, one can still sell on another forum and ebay. But if you take away the number one option, you might cause enough people to hesitate about buying something new that you could be stuck with if you didn't like it that it could even affect the Kifaru bottom line. I think that is worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Rakes View Post
    Any chance the forums could be kept as searchable archives? No posting, just the ability to read/use all the old info on here...i really enjoy going thru Patricks ramblings occasionally.

Either way, thanks for hosting this as long as you have.

zr
    If that’s possible, include the entire original forum. This place had many more individual sub forums with a wealth of information that disappeared after the office changes took place.