Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Death by SPAM - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death by SPAM

Default Re: Forum Update

I definitely learned a lot of great information over the years. Got to attend one West Rondy. Spent way too much money on gear. Still talk to Mel way too much about gear.
    Most importantly, met one of my best friends in town. (jhayes6405) Love you Boo

Put me on the list for all OD too! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by medic16 View Post
    I definitely learned a lot of great information over the years. Got to attend one West Rondy. Spent way too much money on gear. Still talk to Mel way too much about gear.
    Most importantly, met one of my best friends in town. (jhayes6405) Love you Boo
    I need to make a trip out to La Grande for a wander, will let y'all know if I do......
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    I need to make a trip out to La Grande for a wander, will let y'all know if I do......
    If you do I will volunteer jhayes6405's house. His family cooks pretty good too.

Big sigh....saddest (non personal) news since the announcement of Melís departure. An end of an era.....

This is sad! I an afraid the long term damage to Kifaru. It is the forum that had established a community. Information about Kifaru and other things was gained and disseminated. More importantly, it was a two feedback mechanism--fromand to KIfaru consumer loyalists to Kifaru. Product ideas was learned and modifications and new products evolved. I am an academic researcher dealing with organizations and technological impact--for 30 years. I have written (published) extensively on the subject. For long term organizational success--three things are needed: 1) an unfilled need (Kifaru provides this with tactical and hunting high quality USA made products), 2) there must be ongoing standardization and continual product improvement (Kifaru does this as a matter of course) and 3) most important, there needs to be an active and thriving subculture (i.e., user group, community) that is loyal to the organization and provides constant feedback and a sense of belonging to the organization ( the forum absolutely facilitates this). Data shows the decline of a community (i.e. removal of a cultural icon like the forums) will inevitably lead to the decline of community, customer base and loyalty). There is nowhere to go. Email lists do not serve the purpose. The forum was a unique feature of Kifaru that differentiated itself from the competition. The email will become spam to the current community users--via their servers. Why not consider an outside server service that manages spam--like most larger organizations including mine. Bottom line i think this is a major mistake--and I am saddened. Checking the forums has been part of my daily routine --even as I travel the world over. Please reconsider. This is my professional and personal opinion. Again-- my assertions stated above are based on 30 years worth of data in numerous oindustries--particular smaller niche industries.

My best
    Fred

I am saddened to hear this news, and this will be a void the Kifaru Insiders Facebook page just simply cannot fill. Nothing against Facebook, as I use it a lot, but there's a culture here in the Kifaru forum that simply doesn't exist elsewhere. After over 15 years and over 6,700 posts I've enjoyed every minute of it, and so have a LOT of others, many of which I know do not spend time on social media at all. As one of the old-timers, I understand the avoidance of social media.

While I'm shocked and saddened at the demise of this forum, I am also appreciative of its creation in the first place. We've celebrated, debated, shared knowledge, fought with ferver, and even said our final goodbyes to a few folks here. One of the best things I remember doing on a weekly and monthly basis was reading Timberline's wonderful posts.
    His posts were the true essence of this forum in its highest form...informative, thought-provoking, entertaining, and highly respectful of his audience. It's been an absolute hoot, and for that I thank Patrick for the idea, and to Mel and Kevin for their level-headed moderation of it over the years. You guys are true gems!

Sawtooth
    Tenkara Tracks Blog
    Tenkara Tracks You Tube
    Last edited by Sawtooth; 04-26-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Echo everybodyelse I wouldn't have know about Kifaru gear and why it work's so well without this forum and the ECR. DayOhhh!

I haven't been much of a poster, but have been a reader everyday, and a buyer every so often. I have learned a lot and appreciate the camaraderie of the community over the years.

Even though the forums have been fairly quiet over the last year or so, the company has not put much input into forum activity which may account for that. Facebook, instagram and twitter are not replacements for an active back and forth exchange of ideas in a forum setting.

There are technical answers to the spam issue. This, I think, is just an excuse to dump the forums, which obviously do not interest the current principals of the company. The Kifaru community and perhaps the company will suffer from demise of the forums.

Michael

It is a shame to see this go. Things have changed so much with kifaru over the past few years I think it was bound to happen regardless of spam.