Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Food I Eat: Sawtooth's Kasha

Thread: Food I Eat: Sawtooth's Kasha

Default Food I Eat: Sawtooth's Kasha

"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Default Re: Food I Eat: Sawtooth's Kasha

Great post Sawtooth. I look forward to more. BTW, it's boullion not bullion (that's like gold bars).
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

Well, I even typed it wrong, it's bouillon.
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

Vernon,

Duly noted, and just goes to show you that you cannot trust spell check.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

Aloha Kakou from somewhere beween the Oscillations

Great Write-up. Definitely gonna try this as a backpacking food. Sounds delicious, and how can you go wrong with oven-roasted brussels! Can't wait for the next installment, our back-country menu needs an upgrade from dehydrated chili and machaca

Hope all is well, friend.
    MojoSlim

Last week i tried the recipe and that thing is really good

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Looks good! I will give this a try.

I have a vacuum sealer but I really need to get a dehydrator one of these days.

I was in Istanbul last week and almost all the restaurants there served bulger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgur) with their meals. Super delicious. I suspect bulger will cook up just like the kasha (which my Russian wife eats all the time and which we took on a few canoe trips).

Here is what I was eating in Turkey: Turkish bulgur pilaf with tomatoes: http://www.turkeysforlife.com/2011/0...af-recipe.html
    If A then B; ~B; Therefore ???

http://modustollens.org/

Hey modustollens,
    long time man, have missed seeing your posts!

I use my convection oven on the lowest setting, which is 170F. I've made jerky and dehydrated food a lot. The only food I shy away from is dehydrating eggs, their high fat content confounds me. Randall got a freeze dryer, man that would be a sweet setup, but the one he's got is REALLY expensive.

I do a LOT of roasted veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, green chilis, garlic, onions, mushrooms. I sub in quinoa for other carbs, I don't run well on carbs for backpacking... I focus mostly on fats for nutrient density and to limit the insulin I need. (I'm type 1 diabetic on a pump...)

Sawtooth,
    have you ever tried re-hydrating by adding water to the sealed bag and letting it sit to start the process and save time/fuel on the stove? I know on the bush buddy, fuel's unlimited, but for spots where fire is prohibited, and maybe, time's limited, a soak followed by a heat up might be magical....
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

rob,

Yes, I have done what is called "freezer bag cooking", which involves pouring boiling water in the quart freezer bag containing your dehydrated food, zipping it shut, and wrapping it up in insulation (a special "cozy", or even a down vest or jacket) for about 15-20 minutes until it's thoroughly done. That method saves a lot of fuel when burning a gas stove. My experience has shown that at the high elevations here in Colorado that I'm typically rambling in, the boiling water is a lower temp and it takes considerably longer to do freezer bag cooking than elsewhere. At 11K-plus feet it takes about 20 minutes.

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

modustollens,

Thanks for posting your reply! The coarse bulger wheat looks like a very nice alternative to kasha! I'm going to give it a try.

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com