Thread: 2019 East Coast Rendezvous After Action/ Lessons Learned

Default 2019 East Coast Rendezvous After Action/ Lessons Learned

After Action Reports, hot washes, or in my case ( submarines) lessons learned are critiques done in the military to get better. You learn more from mistakes/failures than easy days.
    2019 ECR is in the books. As always a great time and a learning experiance. I thought I would start a new thread for comments pictures etc., that was easier for people to recognise as something to do with the ECR.
    ECR normally runs from noonish on wednesday to sunday the weekend before Valentine's Day just north of Northville NY. Most only can get there Fri-Sun. Haven't seen any one day walk ins in the last couple years. Except the nice lady who brought lasagne and cookies! Weather was 30's rain freezing rain wed-fri,then down to single digets at night but the wind died down. Somewhere around 18-24 inches of snow on the ground.
    - My first lesson learned is we should proberly label the ECR Rondy thread as the ECR Rondy thread vs some insider stuff only people who have been there will recognise,unless I didn't get the memo and we are looking to exclude new people. Probabily should list a POC (point of contact) seems obvious to us you have done it for awhile but for a first timer, I remember mine, luckily I had Andy to help try to square me away. After ten years well like I said you learn from your failures.
    - In the Northeast you can experance more than one season on an outing. I picked up some surplus USGI goretex and it worked in the freezing rain 30 degree weather on wednesday-friday. When it got cold the Lost Valley Parka came out. Most people that have one thought they are sized like a jacket vs parka. What I mean is the word parka to me is like a USGI fishtail or a belaying parka.
    - snowshoes needed the first couple of days by Friday? the drop in temp had created a pretty solid crust micro spikes where appreciated.
    - last minute change of my primary pack, I like using my TG1 as my daypack, its great organiztion and works great bushwacking. With addition of rain gear and some additional food I went with my Mollex. Should also taken my E&E D&L to my Mollex instead of the large belt pouch. I can attach my pulk traces to the waist belt on my Kifaru packs with belts using a dowel through the pals and a loop from the trace.
    - I use a wine wooden box as my wannigan it fits in my pulk/sled pretty well. I need to work the organization a bit better.
    - warmer temperature made beer temp management easier.
    -wood processing in wet weather is work. The GB Outdoor worked well for splitting in the tipi except on some 3-4 in spruce. I had a nice piece of wood to baton it with. I like a 24 in buck for a saw. Ken's Silky "Samari saw" was neat.
    -SST pins have other uses. Long ones make dandy zipper extensions,shorter ones are the right length for large stove wood. They also work as wood bellows.
    - had a couple of "baby" mice come out from under the woodpile after a couple days so I guess it was stacked right. Thinking of adding a few mouse traps to the list. Bobby thought a blowgun was the way to go.
    - be aware there is no cell phone coverage, normally I bring a am/fm radio for weather updates forgot it this year.
    -Andy brought a 2 burner coleman and I my jetboil in case we weren't able to source enough dry wood. We made the wood work and I kept hearin Patrick"nothing bigger than your thumb". Running "foil" stoves is more of an art than a science.
    - there where 1 12 man,2 8man,2 6man, and 1 4man tipi at the ECR. Ken's 8 man and Bobby's 4 man had PERFECT pitches I hope somebody got a picture.
    You don't need any Kifaru gear to come by the way. I didn't have any when I first showed up.
    -my camera is broke and I have an flip phone so I don't have any pictures, hopfully others will post.

Already looking forward to next year and not so much work tomorrow.
    Last edited by Robbie; 02-12-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: more stuff I thought of

Default Re: 2019 East Coast Rendezvous After Action/ Lessons Learned

Call me weird, but every word from Robbie makes complete sense to me! Robbie is the real deal.

Day ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Last edited by Dave R.; 02-12-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    Call me weird, but every word from Robbie make complete sense to me! Robbie is the real deal.

Day ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Evidently the meds are working LOL! Hope you are feeling better,see you at the next one!

Kifaru East Coast Rendezvous 2019 - one man's view...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dR9378qj0&t
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

As always...a great time with a great bunch of people.

I'm still chuckling at the thought of your stove after two days of wet weather...haha...there was more bark in there than your basic sawmill...
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Today, I self-diagnosed that I have DRS ......Dayohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Retention Syndrome. Missing the ECR is rough.
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.