Thread: Rifle Primer Diameters

Default Rifle Primer Diameters

Greetings everyone.

Recently I switched from Winchester brass to Norma brass for my .375 H&H. I was using Federal 215 primers with the Winchester brass. These primers would not fit in the Norma brass. I had to switch to CCI250. Does anyone know the diameters of these primers? I have found size charts on the net, but they all did not have Federal 215 listed.

Regards
    John in Texas

Default Re: Rifle Primer Diameters

Howdy, John!

I had some problems with primers in my 45-70 a few years back, and I found this information (and ended up buying their gages):

https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php

I know it doesn’t directly answer your question, but hopefully it helps...

Regards,
    Scott

Default Re: Rifle Primer Diameters

Thank you Scott.
    I measured the primers with a micrometer and found that the diameters were both the same. I could not understand why the CCI250 would fit and the Federal 215 would not. This is what I believe is going on. The Federal primers have a greater wall thickness than the CCI primers. I'm assuming this greater thickness prevents the primer from being forced into the pocket because of the added rigidity.

Something else worth noting: Norma primer pockets have a smaller diameter than Winchester. This fact fits my assumption. Thinner walled primers (CCI) can be compressed into smaller pockets than the thicker walled Federal primers.

Interesting enough, both loads had similar velocities and shot to the same point of impact at 100 yards. This is very fortunate considering how scarce Winchester 375 H&H brass has become.