Thread: Black multicam

Default Black multicam

Is there any possibility of this color being used in the future? I really like the pattern. What is ya'lls opinion on multicam black?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Black multicam

Quote Originally Posted by ron finkbeiner View Post
    Is there any possibility of this color being used in the future?
    Short answer: no.

Recent discussion about the cost to add black back to the lineup was that while they'd sell a lot, it would take 3 years for the materials costs to be paid off.

I'm no pricing actuary (used to be, not any more) but that really surprised me, the 3 years part. Especially with assumptions that could be made about EDC packs in black...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I just wonder why they dropped black in the first place but added other colors? I assume adding wolf gray falls under the same 3 years to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    I just wonder why they dropped black in the first place but added other colors? I assume adding wolf gray falls under the same 3 years to make a profit?
    I'm sure it's based on sales volume. Reality is this: guys like me aren't driving the bottom line, at all. I run old discontinued stuff that I and my kids won't ever wear out. I think the guys who plunk down a grand on a pack every year are more likely to move the needle, and they aren't clamoring for the black or OD or 1000D packs.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Yup, Rob nailed it. We are also limited by the space of our building as well. If we spread out into more colors, all of our inventory increases, not only in finished product but in raw materials as well. We can either have a larger variety on a small amount of products or a larger amount of offerings in limited colors. I would like to offer more colors, especially for the EDC side of things but that would mean out of house manufacturing. We are talking about it but it will take some time and it would only be for a select few products. I'll keep you guys posted if we are going to get weird with some colors but for right now this is it.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Well, it was worth asking anyway.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ron finkbeiner; 01-21-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks for answering as I was wondering as well. Most of my Kifaru is black in 1000D. I found out about them not using it anymore when my organizer was stolen and called to purchase another to find out out no more black and/or 1000d

Quote Originally Posted by James Nguyen View Post
    Thanks for answering as I was wondering as well. Most of my Kifaru is black in 1000D. I found out about them not using it anymore when my organizer was stolen and called to purchase another to find out out no more black and/or 1000d
    The closest you might get is Rit Dye with vinegar on the stove. I have 2 of the 500D organizers (OD on MollEx, Black on Antero), 1 of the 1000D (MC on Scout), I have no preference of one over the other as far as either materials or attachment. The hot vinegar method has worked well for me on treated Cordura, a 500D multicam plus black dye actually probably will work well.... Post pics for sure if you do!