Thread: Randall knives?

Default Randall knives?

Had never seen one except for pictures until recently and thought it was an amazing knive. It was a model 1 with stacked leather handle. Anybody have one and use it?
    z

Default Re: Randall knives?

Ive seen them sold online before and message boards for ungodly amounts of money. From everything I have seen they are pretty good. could never think of dropping that much cash on a knife though. I wouldn't want to use it.

I got one when I was in the Army and used it some. Excellent quality, but I didn't like the finger grooves on the handles. So I sold it about a decade ago. About a year ago I decided every knife aficionado should have one so I got another Model 15 but without the finger grooves. It's much more user friendly, but I doubt I'll use it much. I'm not a big fan of the huge choil cut out, so there are other knives I like better.

In my opinion the price issue is overblown. These days the price of Randalls is in line with most other custom knives. Still for the price I'd rather have a Turley or a Gossman custom knife, unless you want it mainly for the historical interest.

I have an Alaskan Skinner and a Yukon Skinner, both gifts from my Dad that I've had for ~30 years. I still use and carry them, they really feel good paired with my Browning Safari Grade 7mm Mag, as I remember Dad rocking that setup when I was a kid killing deer and elk in the '70s & '80s. I use my Knives of Alaska Military Combo more.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Great gift from your Dad...especially when paired with memories of hunts past.
    If i had a Randall, I'd use it and then pass it down to my sons to use.

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    I have an Alaskan Skinner and a Yukon Skinner, both gifts from my Dad that I've had for ~30 years. I still use and carry them, they really feel good paired with my Browning Safari Grade 7mm Mag, as I remember Dad rocking that setup when I was a kid killing deer and elk in the '70s & '80s. I use my Knives of Alaska Military Combo more.

I've had the model 26 for many years. Best knife I've ever owned or ever will. It's an investment but just like a Kifaru pack a quality knife wasn't made to sit on a shelf.