Thread: Mountaineering

Default Mountaineering

I'm planning to attempt Rainier next summer, and need some help with the pack. The guide company I'm going with recommends a pack of 70-75+ liters. The only pack I own in that size range that's comfortable is a Nomad (I have the Camp Bag). I like it, but there's a lot going on in terms of bat wings and straps and such to get in the way, so I'm trying to figure out another option. The criteria are:

- At least 70 liters.
    - Able to carry both an ice axe and a set of trekking poles.
    - Lighter is better, but I'm not gram counting (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be looking at Kifaru).
    - Ideally a versatile pack that I can use when I'm done with the trip. I don't plan on making mountaineering a serious hobby.

I've been looking at the Muskeg. Anybody have any experience attaching poles or ice axes to it? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Mountaineering

No ideas.
    If anyone gives any information on your quarry then that should be very helpful for you and also me.
    I'm not on making mountaineering but Want to know for the future.

Best wishes for your Mountaineering.

I dunno, even though my mountaineering days are long gone; I think the Nomad would make an ideal pack for tackling Rainier. It's a truly modular design that lets you take as much, or as little, as you want. Plus, all the weight will be close in to your core so you won't be fighting the pack that much.

Attaching an ice axe is pretty easy. All you need is a loop for the head to sit in and then a strap to secure the handle. These can be added to any Kifaru pack easily.

Good luck and take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

There are a lot of options for expanding on the Nomad that you can look at, depending on the gear you need to carry. I would give Kifaru a call direct to discuss those options. If you're set on a new bag then I would think a Muskeg would make a great option. The sewn in pockets on the bottom sides of the pack would handle both an ice axe and trecking poles.

Let me say I don't have any mountianeering experience, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick714 View Post
    I'm planning to attempt Rainier next summer, and need some help with the pack. The guide company I'm going with recommends a pack of 70-75+ liters. The only pack I own in that size range that's comfortable is a Nomad (I have the Camp Bag). I like it, but there's a lot going on in terms of bat wings and straps and such to get in the way, so I'm trying to figure out another option. The criteria are:

- At least 70 liters.
    - Able to carry both an ice axe and a set of trekking poles.
    - Lighter is better, but I'm not gram counting (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be looking at Kifaru).
    - Ideally a versatile pack that I can use when I'm done with the trip. I don't plan on making mountaineering a serious hobby.

I've been looking at the Muskeg. Anybody have any experience attaching poles or ice axes to it? Any other ideas? Thanks!
    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BuckarooMedic View Post
    I dunno, even though my mountaineering days are long gone; I think the Nomad would make an ideal pack for tackling Rainier. It's a truly modular design that lets you take as much, or as little, as you want. Plus, all the weight will be close in to your core so you won't be fighting the pack that much.

Attaching an ice axe is pretty easy. All you need is a loop for the head to sit in and then a strap to secure the handle. These can be added to any Kifaru pack easily.

Good luck and take care,
    Hmm. Sounds like I should load the pack up and see. I could use some training anyway...