Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Kifaru Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous 2018!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous 2018!

Exclamation Kifaru Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous 2018!

Hi all! Here are the particulars for the upcoming Kifaru Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous for 2018. This has been an annual tradition for probably 10 years now (I'll have to check my journals to be sure), and it has always been a very enjoyable weekend. Our traditional weekend is sandwiched between the end of archery big game season and the beginning of the first big game rifle season. Small game is in season (snowshoe hares, pine squirrels, blue grouse, marmots) and the trout are still hungry!

The rondy campsite is located in south-central Colorado wilderness at an elevation of approximately 10,500 feet. It requires driving on county gravel roads and two-track 4WD Forest Service jeep trails to the trailhead. At that point it's a backpack trip approximately 4 miles up over a high pass and down into the valley where our campsite sits adjacent to a trout stream. It's inside a federally designated wilderness area, and is one of the most scenic high mountain valleys in Colorado.

Please bring your own personal shelter and food. We always dine family style and share all of the grub. We will have one communal 16-man or 24-man tipi, depending on the RSVP headcount.

Come prepared for everything from warm, sunny days and cold nights to blustery snow squalls and frigid nights. Normal highs are in the 50s and lows in the high 20s. Expect extremes outside of that.

Dates: October 6-7, 2018 (advance party will arrive on Friday, October 5th)
    Location and details: PM me an RSVP and I will send additional info

For RSVP, please PM me with the following:
    Name
    Email
    Phone Number

Thanks, and we hope to see you in the backcountry in October!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Default Re: Kifaru Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous 2018!

Any other interested parties outside of the private messages I've received? Please let me know...I'll be sending out info via PM in the next week or so. Thanks!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

I'm in, per the text messages.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

One of these years when I do not have an antelope tag I would love to come up.

I may be interested, but would be coming from Orlando, Florida! I may have to wait for next year...I need to know what airport to fly into (closest to the campsite) sorry I just saw this post! Would I need to rent a 4X4 or is there someone close that I could ride with? UGH!!

Quote Originally Posted by mannsbuick View Post
    I may be interested, but would be coming from Orlando, Florida! I may have to wait for next year...I need to know what airport to fly into (closest to the campsite) sorry I just saw this post! Would I need to rent a 4X4 or is there someone close that I could ride with? UGH!!
    Colorado Springs is probably the closest. I'd offer a lift if I knew when I'd be able to get out of work. (this will be quarter end, and we're working on budget at the same time, with no idea what weirdness could come up during that)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Smile Re: Kifaru Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous 2018!

OK, cool, I understand...would it be best to fly into Colorado Springs or Denver? I've never been to Colorado...anybody else have any ideas, suggestions or recommendation feel free to chime in... I could fly in on Friday October 5th if that helps, but you guys are doing this as a favor to me so I am at your mercy! Does anybody know if Patrick will be there? I would sure love to meet him..if not maybe another time

nm I see where robocollins mentioned flying into Colorado Springs, which will be the closest....I'm pretty stoked I hope it works out...

mannsbuick,

I've sent you an email. Rob is right, Colorado Springs is the closest airport. I'll be in touch.

Sawtooth

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

Hey man! I just wanted to let you know my son and I will be coming on October 5th! We land in Denver at 9 a.m. sharp! I look forward to meeting you! I have been wanting to do something like this for a VERY long time...anyways I have been in touch with Sawtooth and he has been great at helping me find and coordinate a carpool from Denver! The flights going into Colorado Springs were all getting in very late (early morning hours) and the flights were limited...see you soon! btw I am bringing my (sawtooth) shelter and Ti-goat small titanium vortex stove..can't wait! LOL