Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hellcat Lumbar Pack

Default Re: Hellcat Lumbar Pack

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Seems like the new enhanced yoke should offset the need for stays. Given the size of the Hellcat, it would be tough to exceed 25 pounds unless carrying bricks in it (IME, even dense loads never exceed in pounds the bag capacity in liters).
    My scout has carried ~50lbs before, used somewhat as a load shelf. I tried something similar with the tailgunner, but it was much less stable.

Obviously these weights are not what the omni suspension is designed for, but the tried and true scout delivers.

In my opinion thats the big distinction between the tailgunner and scout, the stays. I think the hellcat fits the tailgunner niche better.

I'm still interested in running the new H-harness on my tailgunner and scout. Hopefully it becomes available for purchase separately, like the other shoulder staps (E&E/Xray, tailgunner, new duplex).

Yes, a new harness with a Scout is a great idea, as long as the attachment points work.

Any experience,reviews, or pics of the Hellcat out there? I went ahead and ordered one as I donít have a lumbar type pack in my quiver. I hope itís GTG.

Anyone that was running a scout and is now running this new pack that can give some input on pros cons ? Like the looks of the new pack but seems way bigger than a tailgunner which i normally run. I don't have a scout so i was curious.

From what I understand, the Hellcat is in-between the Tailgunner and Scout size wise (main bag). The Kifaru pics make it look bigger than what it is. I've seen a few pics of it being worn in the field and it looks larger than the TG but smaller than the Scout. I'll write a review and comparison to the Scout/TG after I get it and take it out on a hike or two.

The Hellcat arrived. While I will not have time to do a full test run and review until next week, I can share some initial impressions.

Bag design is great. The sewn in pockets are more streamlined and lighter than attaching similar pockets to the Scout/TG. Organizer (500d) and belt pouches fit well on front. Plenty of internal organization.
    The harness seems plenty comfortable. It doesn't get all twisted like the Scout/TG can and distributes weight more evenly. The main part of getting the HC fitted well is adjusting the length of the straps running from the harness to the bag. Just like the Scout/TG, this requires a little experimentation to find the sweet spot (too short puts more weight on shoulders, too long and the bag tends to sag)
    The listed weights are spot on, and I look forward to taking it out into the field.

Quick update. Took the HC out for hike, loaded for a few hours of scouting, about 15 pounds. It was plenty comfortable, and it was easy to unbuckle the belt, get one shoulder out and swing it to the front to access gear. The only peeve was the bags tendency to sag, since it doesn't come with vertical compression straps. Next run I will attach a pair of kclip straps to remedy this. I tightened the straps running from the yoke to the bag about an inch from the factory setting and after hiking with it realized Kifaru had it right out of the box...imagine that. I'll do another review with pics next time I take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Quick update. Took the HC out for hike, loaded for a few hours of scouting, about 15 pounds. It was plenty comfortable, and it was easy to unbuckle the belt, get one shoulder out and swing it to the front to access gear. The only peeve was the bags tendency to sag, since it doesn't come with vertical compression straps. Next run I will attach a pair of kclip straps to remedy this. I tightened the straps running from the yoke to the bag about an inch from the factory setting and after hiking with it realized Kifaru had it right out of the box...imagine that. I'll do another review with pics next time I take it out.
    As someone with 2 Scouts (G2, Military Division), 2 TG1s (Military Division), and 2 kids, I'm real curious to see what you think. I ran 6 miles on Saturday with the Military Division Scout and Kifaru strapettes run in an H (didn't cross them through the metal piece). My daughter's latched on to one of the TG1s, my son will be wanting something soon.

There's no way I'll be looking. (pft, yeah right. I can totally see a gajillion uses for the Hellcat, I've also got a 1990 Mountainsmith daypack that's hunted, fished, biked, hiked all over) Cool design, they just keep getting better....
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ