Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Antero as a light day hiker

Default Thoughts on the Antero as a light day hiker

I'm looking for any experience on using the Antero as an after-work/half-day walk/hike pack. I'm looking to replace my Camelback Alpine Explorer which I really like, but it's starting to show it's age and usage.

I have a dedicated work bag and I recently got a 14er which is great for all day hikes but overkill for shorter trips.

Basically, I'm looking for a pack that I can keep loaded in the vehicle with some essentials, and then throw in a water bottle or 2 into and be good to
    go for short walks/hikes.

Size wise, the Antero is a little smaller than the pack I'm looking to replace, but I don't think that will be in issues if I add belt pouch and/or organizer and maybe add the grab-it for a coat in colder weather.

Does anyone have experience using this a light hiker? I don't want a hip belt. Does it breath on your back ok?. Also, I'm 6' 2'' so I prefer a longer pack which the antero seems to be.

Thanks
    Last edited by johaw; 07-02-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Default Re: Thoughts on the Antero as a light day hiker

I've had mine for a bit over a year along with an organizer, it goes where I do, whatever I do. I've got the framesheet, I definitely recommend that. It works great with either a bladder inside or nalgenes in the bottle pockets. I carry my laptop in the bladder pocket inside most days. Never have added a Grab-It to it, never have needed it really. I have lashed extra stuff using the compression straps on the bottom, which works well..

I wouldn't call it a "longer" pack. I have used it with an Omni belt, I even have buckles rigged to attach the upper delta straps, but, for the loads I carry, I prefer it without a belt, and with the shoulder straps cinched pretty tight.

I've used all of the Omni packs. All of them. I've also used a TAD Litespeed, which I *like*, but for different reasons, it's stiffer, but I like the Antero better.

If I were to need more room, that Tarryall would be my choice, I've carried a friend's with about 40# of shooting bags and a rest strapped to it, but, that far exceeds the needs for typical hanging out. My bet is you'll love this pack...

My only puzzlement is why black went away, but, I've got mine, won't be getting rid of it.....
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

robcollins,

Thanks, I appreciate a review from someone that has used this for over a year. Since this will be mainly for hiking, I'm leaning towards the Wolf Gray and adding a large belt pouch to the back.

My understanding is that the Antero comes with the frame sheet, did you have to purchase the OMNI framesheet separately?

Thanks

The antero has a great layout and works well for light loads. It does have some issues for me however in that it doesn't carry weight well compared to the other omni bags. Mine has a couple metal attachments at the bottom that dig into my side but they might of fixed that problem now.

I have been running the doorgunner for EDC and even though there are tradeoffs it carries very well. The aluminum stays are a major upgrade so hopefully if Eric reengineer the antero I hope he adds the stays.

I too have a black antero and can't forsee ever selling it. They need to reintroduce black on the EDC bags and pouches.

crossada,

Thanks for your thoughts!

Where are the metal attachments, are these on the very bottom of the bag? Also, what is your difference in light vs. heavy loads, I'm looking at maybe 15 lbs max for this pack.

I hadn't really considered the door gunner, but will take another look.

Thanks
    Last edited by johaw; 07-03-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johaw View Post
    robcollins,

Thanks, I appreciate a review from someone that has used this for over a year. Since this will be mainly for hiking, I'm leaning towards the Wolf Gray and adding a large belt pouch to the back.

My understanding is that the Antero comes with the frame sheet, did you have to purchase the OMNI framesheet separately?

Thanks
    I bought mine used, it was a prototype with OD interior and thread. It came with the framesheet, I've seen it as an accessory, wasn't sure...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

The metal bars I'm speaking of are the attachment point for the bottom shoulder straps. I'm sure they have a name but are metal rectangles that I found dug into my side.

I'd say over 20 lbs. I never tried the omni sheet though which would be sturdier with the stays.

The door gunner doesn't carry an organizer on the front like the antero so that is a big tradeoff but I've been hanging a 500d inside on the chamber pocket loops.

robcollins and crossada,

Thank you for answering my questions. it's great to get feedback from people who have actually used the pack.

I'm pulling the trigger on one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    The metal bars I'm speaking of are the attachment point for the bottom shoulder straps. I'm sure they have a name but are metal rectangles that I found dug into my side.

I'd say over 20 lbs. I never tried the omni sheet though which would be sturdier with the stays.

The door gunner doesn't carry an organizer on the front like the antero so that is a big tradeoff but I've been hanging a 500d inside on the chamber pocket loops.
    Crossada,
    there's a plastic common loop, that's sewn to the pack, then there are metal 3-bar sliders that are sewn to the bottom of the shoulder straps, which pass through the common loop to secure it. I switch those so they aren't next to me and when attached, they're on the >>outside<< of the common loop. That's way easier than losing the 10# to avoid chafing the muffin tops....

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    Crossada,
    there's a plastic common loop, that's sewn to the pack, then there are metal 3-bar sliders that are sewn to the bottom of the shoulder straps, which pass through the common loop to secure it. I switch those so they aren't next to me and when attached, they're on the >>outside<< of the common loop. That's way easier than losing the 10# to avoid chafing the muffin tops....
    I did the same with my Antero and Urban Zippy. I also found that on my UZ I had to flip the bottom of the shoulder strap attach strap so the stitching was facing out. Since then things have been much better.

Good to hear that Iím not the only one who chose the easier option...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk