Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Ruck

Default Eastern Ruck

Hi. Thought I'd start a thread on the new Eastern Ruck. Looks pretty good and I really like the "hybrid" idea where it can be used on or off a frame. Love to see a version of the 14'r with this feature. I've watched the videos and have an additional question; how easy would it be to carry a sleeping bag under the lid? The lid looks pretty tight and not extendable. What's the drawcord closure system like (one or two) and I think there is no bladder pouch inside just a tab to hang one. I think it will be a ver popular bag for them.

Default Re: Eastern Ruck

It looks like it would make a great bushcraft bag to me.

Will it fit the 22" frame?

The Eastern Ruck is a very interesting bag. I like dual opening bags. Hence my Gregory Z series and the Kifaru Tarryall. This isn't exactly that but is close and has a lot of neat features. I'm waiting for in-the-field reviews, especially how the internal frame works and some more details on the lid and hydration compatibility. Finally, a reason to post on this forum once again.
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

I think Kifaru did a really good job on this one. It seems like a bigger more versatile bag than the TARRYALL or 14r and cost's less at $390.00

Seeing as the ER is basically the offspring of the Urban Zippy and the Urban Ruck it's a pity they didn't keep the chamber pocket / slider thing.
    That could be used as a hydration sleeve or for when you're using the pack for everything else (i.e. not hunting). I know you have to draw the line somewhere with manufacturing costs but I'd swap the front pockets for molle and a chamber pocket. That said I also like it as it is.

I love that they put tab loops around the back to aid in attaching to a frame when you want to go that route. Anyone hear what the length the stays are?

Quote Originally Posted by shawn30 View Post
    I think Kifaru did a really good job on this one. It seems like a bigger more versatile bag than the TARRYALL or 14r and cost's less at $390.00
    the difference in my mind is in the suspension. 23" composite or aluminum stays in those two bags vs a plastic frame sheet in the new bag.

The frame difference is why I'm interested in field reports. I have a Tarryall and like it a lot even though it's seen limited use. I could see getting this pack also but I need more real world data.
    "Wild country has the power to remind civilized people that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours, a world which surrounds and sustains the little world of men." - Edward Abbey

The 14r and Tarryall will carry better because of the longer stays, lumbar pad, and torso pads. The Eastern ruck is the ticket if you intend to use it with the frame for heavy or long distance hauling and want the ability to use the pack alone for shorter excursions or stand/blind use. I believe the framesheet is 21 in tall. Seems like it would make for a good travel, camp, or bug out bag also.

steveb, have you used the Eastern Ruck or are you just speculating?