Thread: Duplex, Nomad and Tailgunner

Default Duplex, Nomad and Tailgunner

I was wondering what people thought of this combination. I was trying to come up with a good combo to use for 1-2 night trips. This year i will have a base camp at the truck then hike in fir a night or two trying to find elk. I have a duplex frame with a nomad bag, guide lid and grab it. I just ordered an apollo and was planning on sandwiching it between the wings of the nomad but recently found a tailgunner for sale somewhat cheap. I was thinking i could run the tailgunner under the nomad and have everything cinched up a little more versus having the apollo between the wings. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Duplex, Nomad and Tailgunner

Without knowing your packing list; here are some thought:
    - Seems like a lot of packs for 1-2 night trip. You could probably get away with just the Apollo for that time period.
    - I personally really like the Nomad system (the Nomad II is even better IMHO. I'm seriously considering selling my KU3700 and getting a Nomad II), I would say just get a couple of dry bags and/or large stuff sacks to use in the Nomad instead of all the different back packs.
    - You say you have a Guide Lid? You could use that as a day pack for scouting, but you could also use just the basic Nomad (minus the internal bags) for the same mission. Plus it would be more comfortable to carry and you could still use the pack to pick up extra things you find along the way.
    - My basic pack philosophy has always been: KISS. I would rather go with one larger pack than a smaller one with four or five extra pouches/pockets attached to it.

Hope this helps . . .
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

I've used a Tailgunner or a Scout as a lid on many of my packs. I've got an XTL also, but with an omni belt, a Scout or Tailgunner carries better. Those little Omni Packs make a good lid too with more organization...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I will not be carrying much and maybe the guide lid and nomad will be enough. Off the top of my head:
    2L water bladder
    Small first aid kit
    Small kill kit
    Hammock or bivy
    If hammock: under and over quilts and tarp
    If bivy sleeping bag and pad
    Wet wipes
    2 days of food
    +|- Stove and fuel, small boiling pot
    Steripen
    Extra release
    Rain gear

So maybe all that will fit. I will be going to idaho for the first time if anyone has any pointers

I would have to echo Buckaroos opinion.
    I had this same thought a while back and put together a nomad system that was made up of frame, nomad, guide lid, grab it, tailgunner and either a zippy or an E&E or both in between nomad wings.
    I got it all knowing the whole system together was overkill, but being a completely modular system that could be broken apart into various packs for various activities. It was cool to have, but was impractical. Especially if you have a specific 48 hr hunt in mind. Way too much weight for nothing. Some dry sacks or a camp bag between the wings maybe a pod below nomad. You would be able to carry at least same if not more for a lot less weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtime View Post
    I will not be carrying much and maybe the guide lid and nomad will be enough. Off the top of my head:
    2L water bladder
    Small first aid kit
    Small kill kit
    Hammock or bivy
    If hammock: under and over quilts and tarp
    If bivy sleeping bag and pad
    Wet wipes
    2 days of food
    +|- Stove and fuel, small boiling pot
    Steripen
    Extra release
    Rain gear

So maybe all that will fit. I will be going to idaho for the first time if anyone has any pointers

I have a similar system I have used one time. total weight without food is about 22 lbs, The gear is

1. Kifaru Nomad II on a Duplex ultralight frame with carbon arrows. A Grabit II holds the main bag in
    2. 35L Outdoor Research dry sack with the following contents. (dry sack weight with gear below 6.2 lbs.)
    a. Nemo 15 bag
    b. Nemo Tensor sleeping pad.
    c. 2Go Systems Tyvek bivy
    d. Kifaru Supertarp

3. My frame/bag with all the rest of the gear(possibles kit ), less the bag above is about 15 lbs. depending on the luxury items I want,total base weight is 22 lbs.
    4. I use a Kifaru KU E&E as a lid that fits perfectly on top of the Nomad II and Dry Sack, to hold food.
    5. Total pack weight is around 25 lbs with water and food. Rather light for a 1-3 day trip.

This configuration is my own solution to hike as a lightweight hiker, without a rare large Kifaru UL pack. It is very strong and durable.
    My KU E&E and the OR ultralight dry bag simulate a KU pack with the rugged Nomad wings taking the abuse of bushwacking, thus protecting
    the fragile bits of this system.

I can ditch the OR bag and KU E&E at camp and wear the 15 lb. Nomad, wings lashed up, anywhere. I want to get the Kifaru gun bearer boot to put
    at the base of the Nomad so I can carry a rifle easily. For me, the Nomad II is the best pack Kifaru ever designed. My other favorite is a Marauder.

For winter camping, my plan is to use an OR 55L dry bag in place of the 35L. I will line the inside of the bag with a Thermarest closed cell foam
    pad for extra ground insulation, pack the same gear I used in the 35L bag into the core surrounded by the foam pad, and put a Kifaru Woobie under the OR bag to be held by the Grabit II. All that increases the size but only adds a few lbs to the base weight. Of course the pack width gets a little wider with the larger OR bag. This solution means I don't have to buy new gear for winter camping.

Every guy, with balls, should be able to ruck 25 lbs and not brag about their 10 lb. soy boy UL pack made from old condoms and gum wrappers. :-)
    Last edited by chokedee; 06-14-2018 at 03:53 PM.