Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Does it ever end?

Thread: Does it ever end?

Default Does it ever end?

I have tried several different packs lately and still can't find one that suits my weekly routine of being on the road. So frustrating!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Does it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by ron finkbeiner View Post
    I have tried several different packs lately and still can't find one that suits my weekly routine of being on the road. So frustrating!

Really if you cannot find a pack that suits your needs I ask:

Do you really need one single pack?

I struggled for years to find a backpack that worked for me. I have three very separate roles that I perform each and every week.

Main paycheck: A full time, work from home with 2-3 days a month client site travel job in the Healthcare Software industry. Laptop, iPad, all the requisite chargers and dongles for such and my cell phone charge kit. Plus deodorant, toothbrush and paste, comb. Even a spare shirt at times. I can not walk into a Hospice/Homehealth agency (my main client base) with a bag that even smells a touch 'Military'. Too many folks in that gig are ultra sensitive to PTSD triggers for Veterans, both Gulf/Iraq/Afghan war era and Vietnam/Korea era.

Side Hustle One: 2 days a week Photography instructor for a program aimed at Senior Citizens in the Continuing Education division of a MAJOR University here in Central NC. Same loadout as above but usually add a camera and lens. Maybe a flash or two and a handful of other gadgets. Again, any camo/MilSpec color or Molle gets a second look and a frown.

My Passion/Side Hustle Two: Wildlife and Nature Fine art Photography. Of course in the field I use specialized bags to carry huge lenses. But I always have a bag with Cleaning gear, usually a shorter lens, a pair of gloves, hat and in winter scarf,socks,gaiters. It always has a First aid kit, notebook, hand full of business cards and my dedicated GPS and a Sat Phone (dependent on location). That bag usually ends up carried around in a lot of ways. Car, plane, overland on my person, four wheeler, horse back even a few times. It can be any color, pattern or style as it is only me that has to be happy with it.

After a steady progression through the low end and dedicated Photo bags I tried to use as a multitasker for all this I realized: I need two bags.

The first two jobs needed a largish, super durable, earth toned messenger style laptop PLUS bag.
    The third job needed a backpack. Crazy tough, options for loadout style, it could be militaryish.

The backpack was not hard to find. With the introduction of the Urban Zippy, Kifaru stomped all the others for a 2000 CU Inch bag that did not jump up and down and scream 'GUN IN HERE' bag but was crazy versatile with a few options for external attachments. I am running a Coyote bag with a Coyote GrabIt. Killer for winter as I usually have a huge linebacker overcoat that I have to carry with me instead of wearing it on the hike into a location. Would heat to death. But after about 30 minutes of inactivity in 4 degree temps with a light breeze on the side of a lake waiting for dawn and the Tundra Swans to start coming up that coat is vital. The Grab it is all about holding that in a quick grab spot. No other external pouches, but I usually lash a Stuff sack with a pair of insulated Bibs on the bottom for the inevitable 'It starts snowing or raining' event.

The messenger style bag was a bit harder to find. I worked bicycle shops as a youth, so I have an affinity for the classic bike messenger brands. Timbuk3 (Got a Dee Dog that has to be one of the first 100 out the shop), Porter Cable, Chrome. But most of those are basic beyond belief. Or they try too hard when they get into the 'Commuter Computer' style. There are solid outdoor brands out there in this space. Mystery Ranch has a few. Too small for me. HPG is nice but I wanted a few dedicated external pockets.

I finally was at REI one night and looked over their stuff. And I found the Osprey laptop bags. Now I know...they don't make them anymore. But they are easy to find NEW on discount sites like Moosejaw or eBay. But there are other manufactures that make bags that meet the same points. It is a matter of finding the one that covers your needs.

So I guess that is a lot to say, maybe the bag you seek is TWO bags? Especially if you are using one back for divided uses. My wife thinks I am crazy with having a closet full of bags that are all...as she says, the same damn two bags. But slowly I have been letting some of the duplication go. I do not know what I am going to do when this Osprey Dave goes. It is showing a bit of wear with my increased air travel. Hmm....maybe it is time to start shopping again.

Good luck.!

I have two Vertx Gamut bags the edc and plus. I guess I just need to give them more time.

I think you are like most here being a bag junkie.

As long as kifaru keeps releasing new bags I get bit by the bug to try them out when my old Xray has been everywhere with me and not let me down.

That being said my new Door Gunner is amazing so far. Might be my favorite edc bag yet. It carries better than the Xray in my initial impressions. Never thought a bag could replace it but this one looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron finkbeiner View Post

I went thru the same thing for years. My days out are different than yours but it shouldn't be hard to find something that works. What do you want it to do?

For city I wound up with a Husky rolling tool bag from HD. They have two sizes available and both open like a doctors bag and have zippers. I use the large in winter, small in summer. they hold all my paperwork, gloves, tools, munchies, extra clothes, rain gear, etc. Lots of slots around the exterior for do-dads and a few inside as well.
    A TB Nighflight fits perfect on top of the rolling bag. The Nighflight would make a good shower bag. Organization in this bag is exceptional but it's not a big bulky bag.
    If you were to buy two Husky rolling tool bags and one night flight, I think you would find it to work pretty well. One Rolling bag for clothes, the other for misc work stuff.

Had them remove the seat in this one. Easier to load my bags in from the P-Side. Gave up the big radio box for my MP3's on my ipod and use a small portable Bose speaker.

Last edited by LMT66; 05-22-2018 at 02:17 AM.