Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000d vs 500d in a pack

Default 1000d vs 500d in a pack

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can comment on the difference between the two fabrics when it comes to packs, in particular the X-Ray.
    I was going to order one in Ranger Green but then noticed that color is in the lighter material and all the rest are 1000d. I assume it's because there is tons of 500d ranger green in stock from making packs like the Fulcrum and Reckoning. Maybe it doesn't even come in 1000d. Anyway, when it comes to the famous bomb-proof X-Ray, how much of that is down to the fabric? Anyone have packs in both materials and like to comment? Thanks.

Default Re: 1000d vs 500d in a pack

I just purchased a wolf gray last month and I believe it is also 500d.

As far as the differences go I notice it isn't as rigid. For instance when I pick my ranger green Xray up by the grab handle the bag sags around the stays where my old black 1000d holds it shape. I can't comment on toughness as neither material has caused me issues

Thanks. I have heard that one. Most comments say its probably plenty tough enough (especially if US made with quality stitching etc). I did come across one military guy who reckoned the 1000d was more waterproof having had both types of pack material in the rain. Other people say the 500d can have more water resistance due to the tighter weave.

Generally which pack do you prefer; 500d RG or 1000d Black?

I prefer 1000d but the ranger green is probably the best color for both backcountry and urban use.

My main reason for not using the rg Xray is the organizer. The 4 point attachment system gives me the shivers but reckon I could tape the 3 bar sliders on.

Yes. The RG color is the best of both worlds. I have a CB 1000d organiser (there are still available) which I though would go well on the front of a RG Antero but maybe also a X-Ray.

500d is going to make the pack a hair lighter and a hair more flexible but you won't notice any difference in an X-ray. Trust me you won't wear it out.

Octavius - The mill we get the Ranger green fabric from only makes it in 500 so that's what we have to work with. We have a long history with 1000 primarily in our military division. Now with the majority of our sales in the hunting line, we have had to accommodate for the need to stock more 500 fabric. Our testing of 500 is very conclusive for the fact that it is strong enough to pack out upwards of a dozen animals and still ask for more. Our military orders are currently going to smaller groups in the military with more specific needs from their gear. Their needs revolve around being as light as possible so they can move quickly. There is still a need for 1000 d packs with modular pocket systems but right now the juice isn't worth the squeeze for us to commit a large portion of our inventory. I'm still a fan of 1000 just because i'm good at breaking things. It may come back in the future if the need dictates it.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

I think 500d is tough enough for most anything. Probably its biggest drawback is lack of structure when a pack isn't completely full. It's undoubtedly more floppy.

I'll also join crossada in saying I'd accept it gladly in more packs if it still provided either attachment option. There are certain things, the Organizer being a prime example, that are gross failures in only attaching via 3 bar sliders.

Hi Eric. Thanks for joining in. It's always good to get the actual facts. Totally get the whole supply and demand thing. By the way any chance of an Antero Mk2 with a back pocket like the Urban Ruck that could take a chamber slider and laptop? I like the way you mix and match ideas and features form various packs into new versions. Keeps the heritage and tradition alive while maintaining interest and innovation. Good work.

I am working on some more packs for our urban line including more options for laptops. There are some things I would like to change on the Antero, laptop access being one of them.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net