Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The 14�r - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 14�r

Default Re: The 14r

Hi. Nice pack and pictures. I don't have one of these but it looks like a good all round size. The central zip idea is clever. How easy (if at all) is it to remove the belt and harness. I often thought this would be a great bag to use for general travel: planes, trains, trucks,etc. Without the harness (or a simpler version) you could use it like a gear bag with some sort of straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    Hi. Nice pack and pictures. I don't have one of these but it looks like a good all round size. The central zip idea is clever. How easy (if at all) is it to remove the belt and harness. I often thought this would be a great bag to use for general travel: planes, trains, trucks,etc. Without the harness (or a simpler version) you could use it like a gear bag with some sort of straps.
    If its like the other Omni packs the belt should come off really easy. The shoulder straps just need the webbing pulled through the top 2 adjuster, load lifters, and bottom. Youll want a good way to manage the loose straps, but it should work pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this can be done, but I don't see why you need to remove the shoulder straps. If you worry about having to check the bag or damage, I'd get a packable duffle to protect the pack from rough baggage handling. I got one from REI, Packs down small to stow in pack but big enough to hold even larger packs when deployed.

IME, the 14r really shines as a backcountry hiking/hunting pack. If you will not use the pack this way, there are better and cheaper options, like the Urban Ruck.

I've posted this on the Kifaru Insiders Facebook page, but here it is for the forum. This is my go-to setup for guiding...a Ranger green 14'r and a a Koala Lite. This will hold everything I need for a full day out guiding with one or two clients in the boonies. It's about to as close to perfect as I can get for the task at hand.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Here's another pic of my setup, while out scouting last fall.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Thanks Eric,
    Good to see you active here. Hoping the forum activity picks up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    We are still finalizing the pack and it is about to go into production. Once we get some good shots of the final model I will be sure to post up pictures and details on it.

Hey Zane, good to be here. Good pics Paul, the koala makes for a great stream fishing "workbench" of sorts.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Here are a few shots of the 14r with a pair of spotter pockets attached. Although the pack is Highlander, it almost looks Mandrake in a couple pics, when under a broadleaf canopy.

Name:  AC637D39-CF48-4FB6-AD45-7EDB2D5DEDE2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  56.8 KBName:  3CF497D0-49A6-411C-8AE7-1FEE29A63796.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  57.8 KBName:  213B7F29-1E21-4611-BA7C-28E5C0ED9125.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  40.5 KBName:  DEC89C70-FA1D-4A81-8309-0800E5CF865F.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by steveb; 05-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.

My 14er on a 3 day climbing trip in the Austrian Alps last September. Not a heavy load as we were staying in a hut. First snow of the season...Name:  14er WildSpitz.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  104.8 KB

Hey Zane,
    What kind of planning goes into doing that kind of trip in Austria? Any permits or do you just need the plane ticket and a ride to the trail head? I know they have some interesting laws on setting up campsites and the amount of time you can spend there.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net