Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 14�r

Default The 14r

Recently got a 14r. Figured Id start a thread for 14r owners to share pictures, ideas, loadouts, and experiences (constructive please) regarding the pack. Ill start by showing the pack configured for a long day hike with.....an Organizer!

Name:  ADF1A587-ECE5-428C-9246-2533A997F809.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  59.5 KBName:  4F393517-F2B3-40B3-8675-C57F4378C2A8.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  60.2 KBName:  3545CD3E-6A64-4FBE-8B6B-B02BF987D86A.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  56.5 KB

Prior to getting the pack, Ive never seen a picture of one with an Organizer. Since I had one, I gave it a try. It works quite well unless the top of the pack is stuffed to the gills. Tried a large belt pouch too, but it doesnt fit as well, as the spacing between its three bar sliders is less. I can still reach under the Organizer to use the zipper, again if the top is not stuffed. The pockets on the lower sides are medium belt pouches and on the belt are a pair of Helikon GP pouches.

Ive just had the pack out for one hike, and it carries and fits well, very ergonomic. The pack really is an evolution of the ole Spike/Express.

More pics to follow.
    Last edited by steveb; 04-29-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: The 14r

I don't understand the new belt pouches attachment now. The top webbing for the 3 bar sliders are angled and they never fit right in PALS or the belt pouch matrix.

Looks like a nice size for bushcrafting. Like the highlander too

I was buying mostly highlander stuff then had to try out ranger green. Undecided which I like better for the Midwest

Morning guys,
    Steve- Good looking rig! I never did the math for people to put pockets across the zipper, I was initially worried about getting the spacing right on the sides for both the Belt Pouches and Spotting scope pockets.
    Kifaru1234 - The reason for the top three bar sliders being at an angle in that when you pull on the zipper, now they pull directly inline with the zipper chain making it easier to us one handed. It also reinforces the zipper at the end making sure it will never blow out. The problem with this is that when you turn the corner while sewing zipper chain is pretty stubborn and creates that angle. We shortened the binding tape so it would be a closer fit in the pals. The key is making sure the 3 bar slider is turned against the pals to lock it in.

I have been checking in on the forums, I know you guys are frustrated with the response here. Mel was always on top of the ball and really turned on the faucet of information for you guys. Unfortunately now though, we do not have someone whose main job it is to keep up with the forums. I will try to keep up as much as possible with every one here and you are all free to email or PM me with your questions. Let me know if you guys need anything else and have a good week.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Eric, rumor has it you've been working on a soon to released "white-tail" style pack. I read 'somewhere' it may be useable both with a frame and without, and that it has kind of an ALICE look. If that's true, I'll be all over it like a spider-monkey!
    Last edited by steveb; 04-30-2018 at 03:21 PM.

I really want to love the 14'r. I have camped in winter with similar sized packs, but with the 23" stays, and the volume, the 14'r's a nimble rig, and I think would carry better than my MollEx for instance. My hangup really is the bottom lid that some of the older packs had, (MollEx, ZXR, Pointman, yep, I'm a slow adopter) that allowed tucking in poles, or using like a grab it for big weird loads, like, say, a bone in quarter, tucked in just the bottom, with the top of the pack compressed. I could picture adding a spotting scope pocket or a few long pockets if I needed. The center zip, I can see the use of it, having access to the middle of the bag, makes sense, but, it eliminates ever being able to mod it and put that bigger bottom zipper in.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Kifaru1234 - The reason for the top three bar sliders being at an angle in that when you pull on the zipper, now they pull directly inline with the zipper chain making it easier to us one handed. It also reinforces the zipper at the end making sure it will never blow out. The problem with this is that when you turn the corner while sewing zipper chain is pretty stubborn and creates that angle. We shortened the binding tape so it would be a closer fit in the pals. The key is making sure the 3 bar slider is turned against the pals to lock it in.
    Thanks...makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Unfortunately now though, we do not have someone whose main job it is to keep up with the forums.
    You guys are very active on facebook and instagram though. Obviously the forums here are not a priority.

Steve- We do have a pack coming out with Whitetails in mind. It will be usable stand alone or on a frame and is a rucksack style pack.

Rob- I do like the bottom access the Spike and Late Season had too, that feature may come back on a pack down the road.

Kifaru1234 - We were lucky to have Mel's commitment to these forums, he really turned on the fire hose of info. I'm going to try and get you guys some more info on the new stuff and help answer your questions. You can always contact me directly if you need help or just want to shoot the crap.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

I'm excited about the whitetail pack, been looking forward to this for awhile. Any more info?

My next pics of the 14r will feature a pair of spotting scope pockets.

We are still finalizing the pack and it is about to go into production. Once we get some good shots of the final model I will be sure to post up pictures and details on it.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net