Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The 14�r - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The 14�r

Default Re: The 14r

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Recently got a 14r. Figured Id start a thread for 14r owners to share pictures, ideas, loadouts, and experiences regarding the pack.
    steveb (and others), now that you've put some miles on it I am curious which access you use most frequently, thru the top lid or the front zip?

Gobbler,

I access it more frequently through the top, but those times I want something from the bottom that zipper is damned handy!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

thanks for the feedback Sawtooth, that's what I was guessing

I also am not a fan of the 3 bar slider attachment method into the PALS matrix but found a Kifaru One Wrap threaded thru the 3 bar slider (after 3 bar slider is "folded back" over webbing loop)and under the Pals webbing loop really solidifies the connection and can not accidentally come undone. Just cut about a 1/4" off the Kifaru One Wrap as they are a bit too long.
    Last edited by scsc; 05-15-2018 at 06:28 AM.

I'm watching this thread as I'm thinking about dropping on a 14'R. I'll wait until the Whitetail pack comes out and make a decision then.

On the Europe walking thing and mindful of Brexit, Scotland enjoys the right to roam (no trespassing laws on land by foot). You have to be careful in the grouse and deer season. We also have a network of unofficial huts called Bothy's. Free to stay, no food/drink available unless you bring it. I don't think you'd get days of walks in, the Appalachian trail it is not, but you'd get some good walks in a beautiful country (and me an Irishman). If you like whisky then tailor your walks to hit some distilleries.

By the way does anyone have any idea if the old style top zip hybrid pockets will hit the mark on the 14'R webbing for three bar sliders?

Steveb

Between the 14r and 22mag which do you prefer now you have had both for awhile?

I'm debating between the two for weekend backpacking, overnights, and general bushcraft use. I tell myself the 14r is the way to go but then I think of the versatility of the frame. Would you go on backpacking trips with the 22mag or is it overkill? I'm not a hunter so heavy hauling isn't forseen but the frames carry so well regardless.

Thanks for any info

Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    Steveb

Between the 14r and 22mag which do you prefer now you have had both for awhile?

I'm debating between the two for weekend backpacking, overnights, and general bushcraft use. I tell myself the 14r is the way to go but then I think of the versatility of the frame. Would you go on backpacking trips with the 22mag or is it overkill? I'm not a hunter so heavy hauling isn't forseen but the frames carry so well regardless.

Thanks for any info
    First: I don't have either. I backpack a fair bit with a Molle Express, including winter trips on snowshoes. It's the same volume as the 14'r. What you'd be getting there is a compact and nimble pack. The 22 Mag at 3,000 ci allows a lot more room and the possibility to carry as much weight as the Duplex it's riding can hold. This pack evolved from the X-Ray and the Xing, and includes the side pockets of the Loco, which I've seen hold a snowshoe.

Having neither, but having looked at both, and based on how I'd use that n+1 pack, I'd lean towards the 22 Mag....

Steveb, what's your take?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Depends. IMO, the 14r is better for hiking and overnight backpacking due to the lower weight and less bulk/stiffness. The 22mag is perhaps better for bushcraft due to bag layout. If you already own a frame, 22mag is cheaper also.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't have the 22" frame. I do have a 24" for my nomad but I would only be saving money mounting a 22mag on that.

I think the correct answer is get both lol

. Also looking at a 14'r but weighing it up against a Tarryall... now you have me thinking of the 22Mag..! I like the idea that the 14'r doesn't need a frame so when you're not going long and far it is a simpler setup. Does anybody know if large bels pockets will fit on the bottom attachment points on a 14'r?