Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting pack

Default Hunting pack

New to this site, looking to up grade from my badlands 2200 pack into a kifaru. Pretty much need a day pack up to
    a 3 day pack that is capable of carrying 60+lbs comfortably for 3-5 miles. Been looking at the reckoning, woodsman, tarryall and the 14'r. Any help wood be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Hunting pack

Honestly your best bet is to go to the rokslide forums. Tons more people and experience there anymore. This forum sadly gets little traffic which is a shame as it was full of good info and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOFFMAN View Post
    New to this site, looking to up grade from my badlands 2200 pack into a kifaru. Pretty much need a day pack up to
    a 3 day pack that is capable of carrying 60+lbs comfortably for 3-5 miles. Been looking at the reckoning, woodsman, tarryall and the 14'r. Any help wood be greatly appreciated.

The 14'r can be that bag. 2,400 ci would work well in the day hunt mode. Blowing it up to 3 day, totally possible. 60+lbs comfortably, well, I'd call that a stretch. Sure it can do it, but for that suspension, it won't be that comfortable. I'd look for 1. either the duplex or the new ultralight frame and then the bag and lid that works. I would love a Fulcrum for what you're describing, it compressed to nothing, and expands to bigger than you want to carry if you need it.

I've carried a duplex with a lid, cargo panel, and then different dry bags or pods. For day hunting, a guide lid can work well with with either a cargo net or cargo panel stowed. A 65 liter dry bag can hold camp. A Kifaru meat bag allows stuff to cool and keeps slime off of everything else.

Were I in your spot, I'd look at everything you'd carry, having a grasp of what volume you'd need to carry it. UL, minimalist gear + elk quarters is a different need than big tipi, tree stand, high loft bag. The going up to 60+lbs says probably bigger than the Tarryall, though I LOVE that pack. I've carried 60+ lbs in my Pointman (~same volume, but not NEAR as nice for organization) and it does it well, so, as far as capacity, that's where you should start, along with the 22 Mag. I'd keep the Fulcrum on that list. I probably wouldn't include the AMR or the Crater, due to the temptation to fill a pack.

The frame is your foundation, between the ranges above, there's really not a *wrong* choice, it's a matter of what features you get the most from. My opinion's worth is dependent on how much sense it all makes, what your loads look like, and the organization you need.

Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    Honestly your best bet is to go to the rokslide forums. Tons more people and experience there anymore. This forum sadly gets little traffic which is a shame as it was full of good info and advice.
    ... and what're you trying to do there, justify shutting it down along with all of the archives? Patrick's stuff: still here. Patrick's posts, still happen. Other users, still here, doing more than just selling their stuff or WTB stuff.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

No I don't want it shut down but I was being honest. Since Mel is no longer around the staff doesn't even bother to show off new products here. It's a shame but when kifaru doesn't support their own forum members are disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    No I don't want it shut down but I was being honest. Since Mel is no longer around the staff doesn't even bother to show off new products here. It's a shame but when kifaru doesn't support their own forum members are disappearing.
    I agree with that. Mel still supports those packs. (I talked to him a month or so back) But, he's a pariah. This forum's a wasted opportunity for them to listen to feedback and engage with people who use their stuff. I'm a pariah, because, it seems, I used Kifaru stuff before Aron took over. At the winter rondy in February, Patrick was down with the flu. 15+ people, most sporting Kifaru gear and long-time customers, nobody from the shop showed up. Backpack cardio is a bunch of guys racing to run away from you. (But, I was carrying a Military Division pack, and getting weird looks, it felt like Jr High) Funny, but sad.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    (But, I was carrying a Military Division pack, and getting weird looks, it felt like Jr High) Funny, but sad.

Mil div isn't ultralight and its gotta be roll top bro.

Say what you will about staff but Frank's a stud. Dude goes above and beyond. I'm thankful he hasn't been deported.....yet.

I have a tarryall and 14r.
    I would recommend the 14r, it rocks. Couple water bottle pockets is all you really need to pickup with it, add backpouch if you want to push to 5 day.

If you are big in to organization the tarryall may be for you. Plenty of built in pockets.

For 60 pounds plus, I'd definitely go with a frame/bag combo. Which frame size and bag depends on your size, kit, and hunting style.
    The Woodsman is a great choice if you go with a 22in frame. If you go with a 24 or 26 in frame, I'd look at the Reckonining, Mountain Warrior, or Fulcrum. Although the 14r and Tarryall can handle that weight, they are better for lighter loads IMO. I just ordered a 14r for a lighter weight 'fast packing' option. I plan on loading it with 30 pounds or less.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    For 60 pounds plus, I'd definitely go with a frame/bag combo. Which frame size and bag depends on your size, kit, and hunting style.
    The Woodsman is a great choice if you go with a 22in frame. If you go with a 24 or 26 in frame, I'd look at the Reckonining, Mountain Warrior, or Fulcrum. Although the 14r and Tarryall can handle that weight, they are better for lighter loads IMO. I just ordered a 14r for a lighter weight 'fast packing' option. I plan on loading it with 30 pounds or less.
    The 23" suspension of 14r and tarryall will hand 60 pounds just as well as 22" suspension...
    Those 2 packs made my 22" frames obsolete, they just collect dust.

Have to say I have the same experience as some have said here. Sold my 22" frame and just use the 14'er. You also have the option of the cargo panel or grab-it to make it a hauler. The belt is not as cushy as the frame belt but gets the job done for lower to mid weight loads. I have two of the old long pockets docked to the sides which I prefer to the current side pockets.