Thread: Duplex Lite vs Hunting Frame

Default Duplex Lite vs Hunting Frame

Hi -- New guy here about to place my first order for a Reckoning bag with Hunting frame when I noticed the option for the Duplex Lite frame. I emailed Kifaru and they tell me the Duplex Lite could ship in about 6 weeks which is fine for me.

It seems like, all other things being equal, the lighter frame would be better...and I have to believe they've put there best thinking into it.

However, I am wondering about the big gap going down the middle and how that will play with the water bladder that sits right behind the frame on the Reckoning setup. I am also leery of buying a totally new frame design that doesn't have all the field testing/validation that the Hunting frame has received over the years.

Being new, I was hoping some of your might be able to shed some light on this. If you were to buy a new system, would you run the Duplex Lite frame?

Default Re: Duplex Lite vs Hunting Frame

fjdave,

I've depended on Kifaru gear for 20 years. One reason is that each product I use was rigorously field tested, sometimes for years, before it is released for sale. Tested by real hunters, in real conditions, for a real long time. I know its a big step investing in Kifaru gear, but you will be so pleased and so confident. My First Tipi, purchased in 1998 was just handed down to my son, and it operates as it did on the first day i owned it. Too many adventures to count, and its still a tough, true shelter.

Give Kifaru a call ask them about your water bladder. BTW...my Kifaru pack is of the same vintage !

Good luck....Dave
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

I was wondering the same thing. I have been running a hunting duplex frame for two years with great results. I currently run the reckoning for 80% of stuff with the fulcrum and 22 mag filling in the balance. I recently purchased the new duplex Lite frame - my goal was to save a little weight and get better ventilation. When I received the frame I decided to weigh it first - I was surprised that it came to 52.4 oz (24" frame with small belt) - this was heavier than I thought it would be, about 2 ounces lighter than my current duplex hunting frame. I decided to go ahead and rig it up to a pack and see how it felt with a load. After doing some quick comparisons with the two packs, I decided it just wasn't enough of a difference for me to make the switch - especially considering the weight difference. If I was buying for the first time I would likely get the duplex lite, but I don't need a second frame currently.
    A few other quick observations - you loose the second attachment point (about 6" above the bottom of the frame) which I use for the load sling attachment or meat shelf - not a deal breaker but I did like this point. I also wasn't sure about the gap between the shoulder cushions. I don't think this would work with the reckoning using the water bladder between the pack and the frame, but I don't run my pack that way, so not really an issue for me . A final observation was that the new frame seemed slightly taller - I trimmed the bottom attachment straps on my fulcrum and they are barely long enough to get through the attachment point on the newer frame.
    Hopefully this gives you a little more info. Good Luck with your decision. The new frame is definitely something I would lean towards if buying for the first time.

- Dave
    Last edited by VAsolocam; 06-18-2018 at 06:56 AM.

In other Kifaru bags, the water bladder pocket is contained in the pack bag itself. It isn't dependent on the frame to hold it. The bag is secured to the frame, and the bladder is inside the bag. I'm not sure if the reckoning has a bladder pocket, it does however have side pockets with hang loops for bladders, as bag contents aren't putting pressure on them and adding risk that the bladder leaks. Quick disconnects seem to leak eventually on both Camelbak and Source bladders I've used. Using the meat shelf turns the bag into a compression panel, I'd rather avoid using a water bag to compress a load, another argument for using the side pockets. The final argument for the side pockets for bladders is easier access. I *like* the bladder pocket inside (centers dense water between my shoulders), but, threading the tube through the port and re-connecting to fill it in the field, with a loaded pack, is a pain, and I always seem to manage to leak water inside when I do. I don't like compressing a bladder with gear if I can help it. I think those side pockets are the answer to water carriage with a full load and meat on the shelf, regardless of which frame it's riding.

Does this make sense?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ