Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Woodsman

Default Tactical Woodsman

Now that I have a pair of spotting scope pockets, my "Tactical Woodsman" is complete.

Name:  9362FCB0-89A4-4D4C-8837-6456921BE201.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  54.7 KBName:  8A2A728E-BAB4-4372-B5E8-75382C98FBA0.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  49.6 KBName:  5D412749-B238-4059-B25D-ED2B3AC66E24.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  54.2 KBName:  1F0E8E92-8BDB-4349-BB70-DD8C2DCB1FB4.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  54.2 KBName:  9C0EFD1B-C982-423C-B0FE-40FEE8EF293B.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  53.2 KB

I've always wanted a higher capacity bag for the 22 frame. So I made own version featuring a Woodsman with a pair spotter pockets on the sides and a Native with belt pouches on back. This brings the bag weight up to nearly 4 pounds, but provides a detachable approach/assault pack. Toatal capacity is over 5200 ci when main bag is loaded to top of the frame (I don't load it higher as this defeats purpose of shorter frame).

The Woodsman on the 22 frame is a very scalable platform, good for day use when stripped down and up to a week kitted out.
    It has replaced my Pointman and Zulu. The 22mag has replaced my Xing.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by steveb; 04-03-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Default Re: Tactical Woodsman

That is a sweet rig. Reminds me of the old Loco...

A 22 mag was my next purchase but that looks nice too.

Woodsman vs 22mag....IME the 22mag is primarily a day pack that can be used for overnights, and the Woodsman is primarily a overnight plus pack that can compacted to 14r size for day use. The Woodsman bag has about twice the volume of the main compartment in the 22mag and fits overnight gear better. The inside of the 22mag has more organization and is easier to access. If you have or will get a 22" frame, I'd recommend both.

When using the Woodsman as a day pack, I put an Organizer on the lid, and maybe a pair of belt pouches on the lower sides. I also attach one spotter pocket on the INSIDE common loops in order to segregate smaller items.
    Last edited by steveb; 04-03-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Sounds like a very versatile system. What other kifaru bags do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking to downsize my gear but have a few bags that accomplish a lot between them.

I 'm in process of trying some different bag combinations myself. Although I have Woodsman, 22Mag for the 22" frame and Mountain warrior, Reckoning for 24", I went ahead and got the Argali, Tahr, and DT1 bags because they were being discontinued, and I wanted to try them out before they were gone..... forever. Although I'm average stature/torso, I don't prefer tall pack bags and frames (24 is my target including bag height). As a result, I almost never load the larger bags above the top of the 24 frame, except in unusual circumstances.
    Last edited by steveb; 04-29-2018 at 08:35 PM.

I must say I love my Camelbak Trizip, it's great quality and the 3 zip system is pretty handy when unpacking stuff from the bag makes it much easier to reach down in the depths.

That at said I do wish it was a little bigger, as a 3 day pack it is a little on the small side, but for the hiking and camping I do at the moment it suits me fine. In the future though I would like to pickup a Motherlode pack so I have options.

Top shelf brands aside I recently got a UTG Tactical bag as a gift, its probably on par with VISM/Condor quality.

Not sure what model buts very nice. Carry it every day. Slightly tacticool but hey so is my paracord bracelet and operator cap

Bringing this back...Steveb - are you still liking the woodsman as set up here? Do you still think it adequately replaces your zulu and pointman?

Quote Originally Posted by Kifaru1234 View Post
    Bringing this back...Steveb - are you still liking the woodsman as set up here? Do you still think it adequately replaces your zulu and pointman?
    I've got a ZXR and a Pointman, I think I'm ~average build, (muy guapo...) and strive for not hauling too much, the ZXR is the one if I have those weird, super tall loads, stuffing stuff under the lid..

(I need a job that doesn't seem to TRY to plan stuff during all/part of what seems like every hunting season....)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ