Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nosler Accubonds or Partition for Up Close Bears?

Thread: Nosler Accubonds or Partition for Up Close Bears?

Default Nosler Accubonds or Partition for Up Close Bears?

Been a LONG time since I've been on here. Took a while off from western hunting while raising my boys because I couldn't stand to miss their football games and well, because I couldn't stand not taking them with me once they were big enough to hunt.

Anyway, the oldest is in college now and we are loading up to go to northern Manitoba in June to hunt big black bears somewhere in the North Seal River Country.

The outfitter I'm hunting with turned his nose up at the idea of my bringing my 270 WSM. Of course that requires a new gun for me. So I just picked up a 338 Win Mag. Shots are likely to be 50 yds or closer. Will Accubonds hold up just fine (and not explode) that close or are Partitions likely to function better?

Also, I haven't kept with Kifaru packs in a while. Which one from their current lineup makes a good all around daypack (no need for room for anything more than maybe one overnight with a very sparse camp)?
    Robert

Default Re: Nosler Accubonds or Partition for Up Close Bears?

I would never argue with an excuse to buy a new gun but the 270 WSM will kill any black bear existing IMO. I hear that the accubonds will hold up at close range but haven't used them. I do know that the Noslers will do the job, same with swift A-Frames and any of the monolithics out there (Barnes being one I know well and recommend).

Default Re: Nosler Accubonds or Partition for Up Close Bears?

I'd agree with Snakey on the 270 wsm, I'd lean towards partitions with it, but I'm way less of an expert on bullet performance than many on here, and, excuses for a new gun are hard to come by; you've got a good excuse...

As far as your pack needs, the 14'r is 2,400 cubic inches, I'd call that a good size. I've winter camped on snowshoes with a Molle Express (now discontinued) which is 2,300 cubic inches, and it fit the bill well and I still brought too much food and binoculars and other snivel gear I didn't need. It's an internal frame, so, it's complete as is without needing a frame. If you pushed up to the Tarryall, a 3,200 cubic inch internal frame, in my opinion, that'd be the deluxe version of what you need, and it could manage adding a hide and meat to your load. I've left out all of the duplex packs, because of your "good all around daypack" description, they're capable of carrying WAY more than that. The 22 Mag is designed for the 22" frame, it's right at 3,000 cubic inches, so, it's right in the range of your load needs, it could easily haul camp + cape + skull.

There are multiple packs around 1,500 cubic inches. We've got an Urban Zippy. This could work, and it's got internal organization, but, I'd call it on the small size for what you're doing. I carry an Antero (also 1,500 cubic inches), I'd call this the wrong tool for what you're doing, though, great day pack without need for camp.

Conclusion: I'd recommend serious looks at the 14'r and the Tarryall, with the qualification that the Tarryall will expand to whatever you could need, but most of the time might be too big. (can't help including it, it's a sweet pack, stealing design elements from several other packs) The 14'r will probably (opinion) be the most nimble, no-nonsense, low-profile rig.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ