Thread: Kifaru Antero vs HPG Umlindi (for a tall guy)

Default Kifaru Antero vs HPG Umlindi (for a tall guy)

Hi everyone,

I am current owner of a TAD Litespeed V2. TAD build quality is top notch, but comfort for me personaly is quite mediocre. I work in film industry and sometimes need to spend up to 14 hours on my feet with backpack on my back. I am 6 feet 4 inches tall and have long torso. I would appreciate if someone tall could share their experience with Antero. I read that Umlindi is good for tall people but am unsure of Antero. I would rather buy Kifaru because I have been a fan for a while despite not owning a Kifaru product. Thanks!

Default Re: Kifaru Antero vs HPG Umlindi (for a tall guy)

The big difference between the TAD you have (iirc, been a whie since I had one) and the Kifaru/Umlindi is that the shoulder straps can be let out and lowered so that you can wear it with a belt where it is optimum so the weight is in your hips rather than your shoulders. Now if you are not going to wear a belt, then it is a preference of shoulder straps. The Umlindi/HPG straps in my opinion are more comfortable but the Umlindi organization or lack of it in a work/edc situation is not ideal. Given that, I sold my Umlindi and currently edc the Antero but use the HPG harness on the Antero. One more note, as mentioned I find the HPG harness more comfortable but it does get in the way if you are constantly in and out of your bag - the Kifaru straps are better in this situation and with the Antero it is easier to swing it forward while keeping one of the straps on and utilize the side access zippers (watch the Kifary Antero Video).

For just hanging off your shoulders all day....Umlindi.
    For organization and lots of in and out...Antero

Ive owned both. For me my Umlindi is a day pack and gets used quite a bit. That being said I put Kifaru shoulder straps on mine.

Pardner's and Joe's explanations are spot on.

I'd elaborate on the HPG yoke that if you go that route, the yoke needs to fit you, and there are multiple sizes of them. (The one I had was too big for me, and folded up between my shoulder blades) (edit: Rob's an idiot.... Just one size, see comments below...)

The HPG also has a lot more surface area, it's warmer to wear in warm weather.

I EDC an Antero, have been for about 10 months now, and I've run it with an Omni Belt, but don't usually. I added an adapter to be able to buckle the upper delta strap from the belt in. (the adapter has a female buckle, the male buckles on the upper delta strap has the adjustment to pull the pack into your back) Wearing it this way, it has to ride lower, obviously. You're 6" taller than me, so, with a belt, the shoulder straps need more adjustment to let the belt take the weight.
    Last edited by robcollins; 03-13-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    and there are multiple sizes of them.
    HPG harness only comes in one size. It is adjustable for height though by extending where on the supplied mounting webbing you place it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    HPG harness only comes in one size. It is adjustable for height though by extending where on the supplied mounting webbing you place it.
    I was swearing I'd seen a picture of like 3 sizes of the shoulder "yoke" laid on top of each other and telling myself that was why it folded up on me... Joe's right though, I'm not seeing sizes....
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I was swearing I'd seen a picture of like 3 sizes of the shoulder "yoke" laid on top of each other and telling myself that was why it folded up on me... Joe's right though, I'm not seeing sizes....
    If only they made varying sizes and a roll top pack........

I think you’re thinking of Mystery Ranch. I know I saw a thread about their yoke sizes recently somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Filip

Let me share my opinion:
    1. Dimension:
    TAD Litespeed is 20″ H x 6.75″ D x 10" W
    Antero is 19" H x 6" D x 10" W
    Umlindi is 19" H x 6.50 D x 11' W
    There is not much different....

2. Shoulder straps
    Pardner, Jhayes and Rob has already share (+) and (-) of the straps so it is up to you to choose

3. Belt
    I always wear kifaru pack with belt... I recommend you to add belt to your pack before buying new pack
    Here it is the link to add Kifaru belt to TAD Litespeed http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=26248
    New Kifaru belt is $58 and HPG Recon belt is $70 but you can always get good price in the forum / ebay
    if dial correctly, belt will shift the weight into your hips thus your shoulder will bear lighter / little weight

To be honest, with your 6 feet 4 inches of height there will be no shoulder lift from these pack
    to get best result you may want to see the taller pack with belt...
    I think it is worth to add the belt to your pack first, rather than buy new pack

Sincerely

William