Thread: Ponchos

Default Ponchos

What's with the dearth of available ponchos? You can have your plethora of rain jackets and pants, the poncho is one of the most useful backcountry designs ever. A full up rain jacket and pants just mean that you'll get wet from the inside out. A poncho keeps the bulk of you dry and the pants can be quickly be dried off over the fire/stove. You can flip it over the pack and have no need for a pack cover. It can be pressed into use as much more than a stop gap emergency shelter and hunker down with a small tea light candle or something similar and it'll keep you cozy and warm. Yet when you go to find one they are virtually non-existent. Army surplus ponchos are virtually non-existent any more and the current designs are shredded rather than sold as surplus. I don't get it...

Default Re: Ponchos

Quote Originally Posted by flamingo 7 View Post
    What's with the dearth of available ponchos? You can have your plethora of rain jackets and pants, the poncho is one of the most useful backcountry designs ever. A full up rain jacket and pants just mean that you'll get wet from the inside out. A poncho keeps the bulk of you dry and the pants can be quickly be dried off over the fire/stove. You can flip it over the pack and have no need for a pack cover. It can be pressed into use as much more than a stop gap emergency shelter and hunker down with a small tea light candle or something similar and it'll keep you cozy and warm. Yet when you go to find one they are virtually non-existent. Army surplus ponchos are virtually non-existent any more and the current designs are shredded rather than sold as surplus. I don't get it...
    Check out http://store.oldgrouch.biz/immipomainus.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My trail co makes a nice one that widowshooter turned me on to. Great piece of gear. Six moon designs is also making one but haven't had the opportunity to run it yet.
    Nothings impossible, just expensive.

Check out the Helikon-Tex Ponchos. You can get them on Amazon. I got one in Camogram (Polish Multicam) and prefer it to jackets in warm humid conditions.

Equinox has ponchos. Made in the USA. I have several.

Check here: http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/r...lar-poncho.cfm

Check out Wilderness Innovation! They make a fantastic poncho that doubles as a hammock. Sucks for where I currently live (SoCal) but when I lived in WA it was probably the best piece of ultralight gear I owned.

Not to say that the poncho was particularly light but the versatility of it and a tarp allowed me to shed many pounds in unneeded gear.

Modified a Snug-Pak jungle bag by adding small zippers to the head and footbox which allowed the sleeping bag with built in bug net to be rigged around the hammock, worked very well!.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    My trail co makes a nice one that widowshooter turned me on to. Great piece of gear. Six moon designs is also making one but haven't had the opportunity to run it yet.
    Great for solo outings, their Poncho UL Tarp is really handy when the sky opens up, and it works like a minimalist tarp too with a few stakes and a trekking pole, I'd call it a solid improvement on a poncho. Widowshooter turned me on to the same... My Trail Co = the re-birth of Go-Lite if you're aware of that drama. (Go-Lite SL-5 is my other piece of this gear, love it, put a stove jack in mine...)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I use one of these...

http://www.grampsleather.com/o-p-s-e-c--details.html

Doubles as a shelter and made in USA. I have one of the swack shacks too. they are awesome.

Had one of those before the Wilderness Innovation poncho. they both do the same thing but one has stitched channels which allow you to run 550 cord through it to hang as a hammock.

You can run the OPSEC as a hammock too but you need to get creative with rigging it.

While I find ponchos useful to have I found it rare to actually use it as a poncho primarily due to the excess material hanging up on stuff in the fern forests of WA.

When going light I prefer to have gear that serves multiple roles but the caveat is they must function well in each role. Often the so called "multi use" items done perform well in any of the areas they claim...think Swiss army knife.