Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Park Parka

Default Lost Park Parka

Debating buying a Lost Park Parka and have some questions.
    First question is what temps have people comfortably used the parka in?
    Also, am wondering how durable the parka is. Will it stand up to daily rough use in the field?
    I would prefer the full zip version, but don't like that the hood is permanently attached. Any cons to the anorak style, other than the fact it doesn't have a full zipper?
    Tried using the search feature to find other threads, but had zero luck, so any direction to other threads on this topic will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Lost Park Parka

I bought one when they where on sale last summer. It is warmer than my Filson double mac coat which is what I compare everything to because it is my everyday coat from Nov-Apr here in Maine. It is obviously lighter and more wind resistant. I've used it down to 0 F with a R1 fleece and light wool shirt layered underneath. I like the pullover better,never having seen in person the full zip, because of the standup collar and the kangaroo pocket. I wore it at the ECR doing all the usual camp stuff seems to hold up well. My only complaint would be the name "parka". When I hear that I think of belay parkas or what some call motherships. Coats that can go over everthing. This is cut more like my fison or a jacket. When i first got it I was disappointed that it wouldn't go over everything. But having used it a bit its warmer and lighter than my two other options a R3 fleece or my Filson. I am very satisfied with it. Stands up to rough use I guess depends on what rough is.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I bought one when they where on sale last summer. It is warmer than my Filson double mac coat which is what I compare everything to because it is my everyday coat from Nov-Apr here in Maine. It is obviously lighter and more wind resistant. I've used it down to 0 F with a R1 fleece and light wool shirt layered underneath. I like the pullover better,never having seen in person the full zip, because of the standup collar and the kangaroo pocket. I wore it at the ECR doing all the usual camp stuff seems to hold up well. My only complaint would be the name "parka". When I hear that I think of belay parkas or what some call motherships. Coats that can go over everthing. This is cut more like my fison or a jacket. When i first got it I was disappointed that it wouldn't go over everything. But having used it a bit its warmer and lighter than my two other options a R3 fleece or my Filson. I am very satisfied with it. Stands up to rough use I guess depends on what rough is.
    Appreciate your detailed reply.
    Curious as to your height and weight and the size parka you bought. Do you wish you had a size larger?
    Also curious what your activity level was in the 0 degree temps. I ask because those and colder temps are what I am looking at needing the parka for.
    My definition of "rough use" is hunting, hiking, hauling wood to the house, as well as everyday wear.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks.

I haven't had mine long enough to comment on durability; but I'd say the fit is on the small side. I'm 6'2" 230 and have an XL. It doesn't have much play in the arms (biceps especially) and shoulders. It's fine with only a base layer underneath but I wouldn't want to try to put anything else underneath. The downside is that it's pretty warm for activity, but a base layer only isn't warm enough. As a result there can be a lot of on and off -- off with the parka and on with a lighter second layer.

I am about 5'9'' and bought a large. Activity level was snowshoeing out to get wood etc. and standing around bsing. It was definatly too much for pulling the loaded sleds in to camp. It should stand up well day to day compared to other puffy jackets especially with reenforced sleeves and front with the cordura. Do I wish I got an extra large? HMMM. I think if I got it bigger I would use it less if that makes sense. IE only use it as a mothership. I think about half a dozen of us had these at the ECR. Only one mentioned wished he had got a bigger size. All seemed happy with it. So as a recap I've used it from 0-32F walking,snowshoeing, and just standing around and am very happy. I suspect it will work well for me at moderate below zero temps as I layered. On another note I am hoping they bring out matching pants. It also stores nicely into the Kifaru small 3 sting.

This is a bit out there as I'm comparing apples and oranges, but here goes. For a short while Kifaru sold a small batch of Snug-pac parkas that I believe were the genesis in developing the Lost Park. I purchased one and have used it as my gp winter coat since. It is a full zip and I'm not sure what the fill is, but Patrick reported that is was useful for rambling, with the level of activity that involves. He doesn't stop during the winter, so I must assume that he used it in typical Colorado winter mountain weather, I have. He then developed the Lost park Parka with several design improvements (not just changes, but improvements). I mentioned at the time that I would prefer the full zip option, but Patrick indicated that it was considered and rejected for a verity of reasons. I have an insulated anorak that I use for stand hunting (duck, geese & deer), and indeed it is much warmer than my Snug-pac, though I suspect that warmth was not the only reason to stay with the anorak design. Use with a pack was high on the list of design priorities and the anorak fit's that bill nicely. As to durability...I can't vouch for this but it wouldn't surprise me that Patrick has not removed his since he first put it on, and the last time I saw it (a couple years now) it still looked good as gold. For general wear as a winter coat, I think most people would be happier with the full zip version, but for a high performance rambling coat with packs involved the anorak design is still a race car. I'm in the process of swindling little old ladies to raise the funds for the original version. My go-fund-me account didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingo 7 View Post
    This is a bit out there as I'm comparing apples and oranges, but here goes. For a short while Kifaru sold a small batch of Snug-pac parkas that I believe were the genesis in developing the Lost Park. I purchased one and have used it as my gp winter coat since. It is a full zip and I'm not sure what the fill is, but Patrick reported that is was useful for rambling, with the level of activity that involves. He doesn't stop during the winter, so I must assume that he used it in typical Colorado winter mountain weather, I have. He then developed the Lost park Parka with several design improvements (not just changes, but improvements). I mentioned at the time that I would prefer the full zip option, but Patrick indicated that it was considered and rejected for a verity of reasons. I have an insulated anorak that I use for stand hunting (duck, geese & deer), and indeed it is much warmer than my Snug-pac, though I suspect that warmth was not the only reason to stay with the anorak design. Use with a pack was high on the list of design priorities and the anorak fit's that bill nicely. As to durability...I can't vouch for this but it wouldn't surprise me that Patrick has not removed his since he first put it on, and the last time I saw it (a couple years now) it still looked good as gold. For general wear as a winter coat, I think most people would be happier with the full zip version, but for a high performance rambling coat with packs involved the anorak design is still a race car. I'm in the process of swindling little old ladies to raise the funds for the original version. My go-fund-me account didn't work out.
    I believe the older parka/insulated line was called Padlock. It wasn't just a parka it was a system. A vest with detachable sleeves,standard weight parka, pants,camp booties and an arctic weight parka that was meant/sized to go over the vest /standard weight parka. I remember Patrick brought to the ECR around 2009/10 ish. They where more expensive than the current Parka. Anyways I couldn't afford it at the time, you don't see them for sale very often,a clue.

Really appreciate the responses from all 3 of you. Anyone else care to chime in?

I had mine during the last cold spell back in December in Vermont. At base level, the temp was around 3 degrees and below. Up the mountain, it was pushing -30s with wind. Wore the Parka with a couple wool base layers and a shell. It felt good when active, but once I stopped moving, the chill crept in.

At night we walked between restaurants and bars. This time with the same wool layers, but no shell. It was bearable, but not something I wouldíve done all night.

During that week, I also had my Patagonia down puff. It serves me well on most winter days, but during that week, it didnít compare to the Parka.

As for durability, nothing crazy. I have moved some firewood around a bunch of times afraid that a splinter would get lodged in it some way, but it hasnít yet (knock on wood). I also use it during work, getting in and out of all types of equipment. Nothing yet. Sometimes I think a huge whole ripped, but find out that it is only the edge of the Cordura getting hung up and letting go. I find that the placement of the Cordura is in the right places...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoyed your observations, floranama.
    Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, you feel the Kifaru parka is warmer than your Patagonia down puff?
    Do you have the full zip or the anorak style in your Kifaru parka?
    Thanks.