Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru X Ray setup?

Default Kifaru X Ray setup?

I just got a X Ray and I'd like to see some of you fellas exterior pouch configurations. What pouches are you running on the sides, front, bottom, can you run a pouch on top as a small lid? Thanks.

Default Re: Kifaru X Ray setup?

You can run a lid on it if you have field expedient male buckles for the top connections and vertical compression straps for the bottom. I've done that on my MollEx.

I ran long pockets on the sides when I had one. Organizers go good on the panel. It's tempting, with all of that PALS grid, to start running a bunch of pockets, but, compression to avoid flop is the problem that comes with that..
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I run an organizer or large belt pouch on the panel and a pair of Helikon General Purpose pouches on the sides.

This being my edc bag I keep it simple with an organizer on the front. I keep a grab it rolled up inside the bag with the omni belt too to expand the abilities when needed.

Unhappy Re: Kifaru X Ray setup?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverMan View Post
    I just got a X Ray and I'd like to see some of you fellas exterior pouch configurations. What pouches are you running on the sides, front, bottom, can you run a pouch on top as a small lid? Thanks.
    I'm in the exact same boat. Just received my pack a couple weeks ago. Very happy with it so far as an EDC.

Searching the forums, this setup looks good to me, I think this was Mini-Longs which appear discontinued and I think had better molle attachments than the current offering - the #11 equivalent is a bit larger but I often see run with compression straps (can't tell if these flop like mad without compression straps) and I have the same reservation as robcollins about the compression.

Was also considering the 500D organizer over a small belt pouch, not sure though if the front panel would fit both together though.

These (apologies for referring to another manufacture's product) Wisport 5L Sparrows, seem to be about equivalent to the old medium side pockets... but of course these don't come in ranger green soo... the decision becomes.. 'suck it up' and use the compression straps.. or live with a ranger green pack with coyote side pockets.

Anyone have any photos of the lid accessory attached to an X Ray?

TAD has a smaller cargo panel but of course that blocks access to the front access on the x-ray. Might be useful to others though.
    Last edited by BlackBush; 01-30-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBush View Post
    the #11 equivalent now would need compression straps (please correct me if I'm wrong here)
    FYI there is enough play in the attachment points to install the #11 vertical as well as horizontal. However the #11 is not made in RG so it's kind of moot for you. For me I've never had an issue with flop in any pocket/pouch which is 4" deep or less including the back pouch. I think it's really a function of what you are putting in them. I've never run compression straps over any of mine if that helps (except the D&L versions and even then I run on the loose side).

While you wait for long pockets to come up for sale you can try belt pouches on the front and/or #11's on the sides if you're wanting more capacity/organization I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Thanks, I just re-watched an old demo vid from mel and realized my mistake, was editing my own post just as you responded - I missed the four attachment points their site screenshot doesn't show (but does indicate in the description), I'd be happy with that I think as well.. still though.. offering in mandrake and typhoon, but not RG is disappointing..

If your an owner and have the pouches, would you say the small belt pouch would fit beneath an organizer on the front panel properly?

BlackBush, you asked about adding a cargo panel. I'd suggest the possibility of using the tail itself as the cargo panel, but, that totally depends on your loadout. The connectors on the cargo panel will easily connect to the common loops on the bottom of any Kifaru pack, from TG1 up to the biggest hauler. I've used one >>inside<< my Marauder to subdivide it and prevent settling, granted, it was folded. The cargo panel's a great piece of kit regardless of how it's used, and more versatile than other similar products I've used. (MR Load Sling, Granite Gear Extended Flap, Kifaru Grab It, TAD Transporter Tail)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Yes, I really like that set up with the medium side pockets.

BlackBush the front panel will fit either an organizer or bet pouch. Iíve got a large belt pouch on mine. Fills the space completely which is fine for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk