Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kifaru X Ray setup?

Default Re: Kifaru X Ray setup?

I wanted to have water bottles on the sides of mine. If you do that you’ll need short bottles to have room for anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RiverMan View Post
    Yes, I really like that set up with the medium side pockets.
    Now that I have the pack in hand the L&L #11 probably WILL do the trick, which is great my pack could match all Kifaru... However, all the more frustrating they for some reason don't support RG on only two pockets - the belt pouch and the L&L#11's :/

They sell discontinued colors, but not in RG... which I thought was a current active color.
    Like the look of that setup, but I've screwed myself from "lookin' perty" .. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBush View Post
    Now that I have the pack in hand the L&L #11 probably WILL do the trick, which is great my pack could match all Kifaru... However, all the more frustrating they for some reason don't support RG on only two pockets - the belt pouch and the L&L#11's :/

They sell discontinued colors, but not in RG... which I thought was a current active color.
    Like the look of that setup, but I've screwed myself from "lookin' perty" .. ugh.
    Call the shop. My bet is they can make RG, it's just not listed on that particular drop down menu...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    Call the shop. My bet is they can make RG, it's just not listed on that particular drop down menu...
    Thnx, I did email them yesterday, but havent heard back yet.
    If calling in would make the difference I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBush View Post
    Thnx, I did email them yesterday, but havent heard back yet.
    If calling in would make the difference I'll try that.
    So the email response I received stated no more L&L#11s it is discontinued. They cant make one and have no outstanding stock. My only option from kifaru would be the trad forums.

Spotting scope is too large, belt pouches to wide.. I guess they just dont plan to produce any medium side pocket options.

Here I thought these were not uncommon

Call Eric Lynn. He's got some smaller duffel bags that maybe he could spin to your needs. Tell him who you are and where you heard about him. He'd like to have your business, and sews everything in Peyton, CO. Solid guy, father, retired military. I love everything I've got from him, can't say enough good about him, haven't found anything bad to say either.

https://www.mountainridgegear.com/pages/contact-us

Let us know what he says, and if not, he may have insight as to who could do it. He's sewn for Kifaru for many years, and is intimately familiar with Kifaru.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Love my xray. I'm lucky enough to have the old version pockets and mostly run it with the mini-longs or longs on the side, an Organizer up front, and small pods on top or on the bottom. I also use it with the Eagle Industries Canteen/NVG Pouch which I use as an option on all my packs specially the Scout. It is widely available new or on e bay and comes in many colors including ranger green. It fits 1 liter Nalgene bottles and with some practice can get it in and out one handed while wearing the pack (at least on my scout and TG1 frame).

Thanks for this. I've tried Eric, unfortunately he has declined. There was a time when he would entertain such an order, but unless it's significant he cannot afford the time involved.

Try pods8 over on Rokslide. He made me some custom belt pouches that are awesome! I don't know if he has Ranger Green, but it's worth a shot.

So after some consideration I took the plunge and grabbed a pair of these Sparrow side pockets.

Lots of color options, but the best I could guess to match the Kifaru Ranger Green was a RAL 7013. Even though the webbing doesn't match the browns on Kifaru RG colors the base RG color is pretty darn close (I didn't expect an exact match).

Some photo's below show these are packed the the brim - sleeping bag on one side / full tarp, bivy, sleeping pad on the other.. These Sparrows are about 12.6" x 5.5" x 4.7" .. though after stuffing these my measurements were a bit larger..

I'm happy how these turned out. Thought I would share now that others might be searching for side pocket alternatives.

Name:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  37.6 KBName:  IMG_0841.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  35.1 KBName:  IMG_0844.jpg
Size:  75.0 KBName:  IMG_0847.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB