Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPG UMLINDI Vs URBAN ZIPPY for edc/weekend non long haul use

Default HPG UMLINDI Vs URBAN ZIPPY for edc/weekend non long haul use

I have a HPG AHBC pack and am in need of a more urban top loader for my trunk and gear hauling. I had an X-ray that I could never really find a niche for (hence the AHBC in the quiver now). My gap pack is a short haul top loader. It will
    Live in my trunk and be used to dump all sorts of gear and lots of water - 64oz Nalgene bottles around to parks fields and lake. Possibly short day hikes.
    - has anyone had both the Umlindi and Urban Zippy. Thoughts for my trunk weekend warrior, so travel for gear use case.

Or is there a bag (super tote) that I am missing. The dimensions of the zippy are perfect or maybe a vertical duffle with Molle for water bottle holder pouches.???!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: HPG UMLINDI Vs URBAN ZIPPY for edc/weekend non long haul use

I've had all three packs mentioned above. The X-Ray was my first Kifaru. Like you, I didn't love it. I've since found that a Marauder fits that role WAY better. After the X-Ray, came the Umlindi. It was just too much of a floppy sack and I thought the shoulder yoke sucked. (maybe I had the wrong size, there was always a raised fold in the middle of my back with it) I picked up a Urban Zippy (with a framesheet, get the framesheet or make one) for my daughter, she carries camera gear, tripod, layers. I REALLY like it. I frequently carry a Scout and the Urban Zippy cinched up so it rides high sitting on top of the Scout. I also have a Molle Express that I feel handles that same role of the 2 packs combined better. I do like the Urban Zippy really well. If you're looking for heavier loads, probably looking at a 14'r? For the advertised size, the Urban Zippy 1. cinches down really well if under-loaded 2. holds a hell of a lot more for 1,500 liters than it felt like the X-Ray, at 2,000 cubic inches did. 3. the external compression straps make carrying snowshoes outside the pack easy. Not Loco easy, but pretty easy.

The X-Ray also seemed way more than 300 ci smaller than the Molle Express.

Your question about bottle pouches has me a little confused. On the outside of the zip open sides, there >>ARE<< bottle pockets, and they work really well. With the compression straps the way they are, they also carry the 48oz Nalgenes really well. I've never run across a 64 oz Nalgene.

I won't be getting rid of the Zippy. I think it's a solid pack...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

two thoughts FWIW - first it may just be me but I have found the Native feels much more comfortable on the shoulders than any of the other older design shoulder carry packs, and that's with the stock straps. I haven't measured it but it's got to be either the angle of the straps or the space between them. And it's a bigger bag than advertised. Give it a look.

second, to me, 64+ ounces of water plus day gear starts to get heavy on the shoulders on long hikes so I tend to go with a belted pack. So I use a Marauder (1st edition 2000ci) and a Scout on a regular basis. I used to just shoulder it but why when you don't have to. Both carry great.

Ive used an umindi for years and the UZ quite a bit now. for EDC the UZ wins for me. Has some zippered compartments for all your little stuff. The umlindi shoulder harness is kind of a pain for on and off and around town carry. Its great under a load though. I really feel the UZ is just that, urban, while the umlindi is a great day hunting pack.

Funny that Iíve been thinking of an UZ and this thread may have convinced me. I also donít love my X-ray (and have same issues with the HPG harness as robcollins) and really want a bag for almost the same purposes.

Thanks!

The ability to totally remove the yoke and straps is a plus for the Umlindi. I may be going to Denver in February. If I can escape the family
    I may need to stop the HQ and touch one.

Antero FTW! </thread>

Love me a top loader

I have owned a couple of Umlindis and currently own an Urban Zippy. Tried to like to Umlindis but for my use the organization was lacking plus the wand pocket on the sides are not deep enough for my use so sold them both. Unlike others I do like the HPG harness for most uses specially under load, but I do agree that the Kifaru straps are better for on and off with light load). The beauty of the Kifaru and HPG systems is you can swap out as needed and I make sure to have spares.

Note that the UZ does not accept a load bearing belt and it needs a framesheet. It is very floppy if not full, specially if you have an organizer attached up front since the attachment point for the organizer is towards the middle of the bag instead of lower where I have it on my Xray.

Bringing in the xray to the discussion, my opinion is that an xray beats both the UZ and Umlindi for travel and longer hikes with heavier loads -- I equip it with Eagle Canteen pockets on the side (or old-school Kifaru pouches), Organizer, a HPG harness, and an old-school Omni unpadded no pals belt. Also if you do not yet know, the current version xray has added capacity (height) compared to the G1 and early G2s. I keep the UZ because it is very useful for the quick and light and dirty (e.g. no belt, lighter, built in pockets, excellent top pocket, open three ways with pockets under each opening).

Had an UZ currently have an Umlindi.

All the pros on the UZ have been mentioned. Liked the organizational features a lot, needs the framesheet, not enough volume for me. Need about 2000cu. in. for what you are describing. Had water bottles fall out of the side pockets. No load bearing belt, it's all on your shoulders.

In comes the Umlindi. I like the harness, yes could be better for organization but it is a top loader, I have a medium admin pouch clipped in at the top, no problems with water bottles falling out, but internal volume is reduced a bit. Like the fact that I can load up the Umlindi with belt and on belt pouches for more weight extended use. Keeping the Umlindi for now, if anything it will be more of a light pack for me has I've picked up a AHBC to cover heavier/bigger loads. Did airline travel with Umlindi over holidays, no belt, worked out just great.