Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christensen Arms

Default Re: Christensen Arms

It is a sfp scope. What if you don't have your power set right? the ballistic reticle is now rendered useless. Again, there are better tools for LR precision. FFP with good turrets and reticles trump 'good glass' and goatscrew reticles. Pass me a real scope.....and allow me to then 'know my rifle'

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman22 View Post
    It is a sfp scope. What if you don't have your power set right? the ballistic reticle is now rendered useless. Again, there are better tools for LR precision. FFP with good turrets and reticles trump 'good glass' and goatscrew reticles. Pass me a real scope.....and allow me to then 'know my rifle'
    The Mesa really inst their long range tool, more of a standard hunting rifle, steel barrel, no carbon fiber, 22 inches in length. A good HUNTING rifle. Standard scope should help anyone pull off standard hunting distance shots, under 600 yards. Most shots are under 300.. I dont know, kicking around the idea of the Ridgeline or Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor or 308... I've been shooting 308 for decades and am comfortable with it but this is a bucket list rifle and my buckets about to get emptied. I do enjoy a good argument though, wish Timberline was still around.. we all get to Kifaru heaven... Im close.

I'be had two of the earlier generation of their carbon barreled rifles. One long action and one short action. I still have the short action one in 300 wsm.

I'm in agreement with Huntsman in that these aren't Jack O'Conner's rifles. These aren't classic 4x scoped 270 Winchester sporters that the old timers used an MPBR sight in hoping to hit an area instead of an precise aiming point. These are different times, where we have different tools and have much more understanding what is happening setting up our shots and the physics behind them.

The whole enchillada idea of having one of these rifles is that they are portable, accurate and we can shoot them in offhand and other field positions at short and moderate ranges. They also have the ability to be a "sniper rifle" or rather precision piece if you encounter critters across a steep ravine or your looking across a canyon with thick brush where an close sneak is an impossible endeavor (like the NW quad of the US). Having one of these set up with an FFP optic with something like an 2.5-15 or 3.5-15 is enough optic to really get some distance, yet one has the ability for up close action on the low end of the magnification.

It's not that you always have to take the longer shot, but these type of sticks give us the option extending range and if we have the correct optic setup it allows for an much wider coverage of where we can hunt and extends our capability. If we end up spending 2k or more on an lightweight precise rifle we surely want to get all we can out of it. If we don't we're just farther ahead picking up an light plastic stocked econo bolt gun with scope package and being happy with that.

It's like some folks like being seen downtown in stop and go traffic driving in their Lambo, Ferrari, or their Porshe. Cool looking gear that gets the nod and approval of everyone yet highly impractical for city driving for the money spent. Same goes with these light, higher end rifles. They're cool to look at, light, and get the admiration of everyone on forum boards. But unless they are paired up with better optical equipment your spending a lot and not gaining much.

OPC did you think the rifles were worth the money? Better choices out there? Check your PM's. Snakey

In their price range they're fine because there's so many out there over the $2500 mark. When I look at the cost of current rifles and optics it's hard to handle the price. Things have gotten really pricey and actually gimmicky in some respects.

Thom, if you ever want to try one of those carbon fiber light weight wonders put your welcome to mine. Heck, I could even ship it down to you and you could try it on your property. Pack it around and see if it's for you before plunking down hard earned cash.

OPC thanks for the offer which I might take you up on. Being retired now I might come visit if I want to give it a try. Will keep in touch via PM.