Thread: stove pipe question

Default stove pipe question

I have a large box stove with a pipe for an eight man.
    I now have a Sawtooth and I have a small box stove with the right pipe for that shelter.
    This winter I want to run the big stove in the Sawtooth. My options as I see them are;

Spend $70 for a large stove pipe of the right length for the Sawtooth and make the hole in the stove jack big enough for the larger pipe and thus too big for the small pipe.

Run the large stove with the small pipe using a reducer to bring the stove outlet down to the size of the small pipe.

Try to use the small pipe by making it big at the stove and reduce it down to fit though the stove jack hole.

Does anyone have suggestions on this or other ideas?

Default Re: stove pipe question

I had the same predicament in my shelters. I wound up just shoving whatever stove pipe I had in there. Yeah the jack material hole gets a little bigger, but it hasn't bothered me.

One thing I've found, with the help of Woodswalker at the N.E. Rendezvous, is that your stove performance depends on the right length of stove pipe. I have one of the original kifaru stoves and when i got a longer pipe, my stove performed so much better. Before I had to constantly jump start the burn because the draft wasn't strong enough . So I'm thinking you may want to try your large stove first with the smaller pipe to see if it will perform for you. You won't know till you try.

Good luck
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    One thing I've found, with the help of Woodswalker at the N.E. Rendezvous, is that your stove performance depends on the right length of stove pipe. I have one of the original kifaru stoves and when i got a longer pipe, my stove performed so much better. Before I had to constantly jump start the burn because the draft wasn't strong enough . So I'm thinking you may want to try your large stove first with the smaller pipe to see if it will perform for you. You won't know till you try.

Good luck
    I wonder what the 'correct' ratio is. Does anyone have that data?

I think it's also pretty critical that you not have too long of a pipe sticking out. I'd call that more critical, especially if it's hot and a big wind comes up. You can adjust the draft (think of this as the intake side, tweaking the vents on the stove door) if the pipe's small to get it to run how you want.

Were it me, I'd cut your jack to fit the biggest pipe you've got, and if you run the smaller stove, make an additional jack out of a $10 welder's blanket (Harbor Freight) that will slide over the pipe and cover the too big opening. Then the remaining problem is stabilizing the pipe from flopping around in that hotdog hallway. (sorry, vulgarity, only visualization I can think of...) I'm trying to remember if there's velcro for a jack cover for when a stove's not in use, (there is on my TiGoat) if so, sew some velcro onto the welder's blanket, and it will hold the pipe, and cost you about $15 total, and you'll have tons of welder's blanket material left over...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I purchased a pipe reducer made of aluminum at Ace Hardware for about $4. The large box stove was installed in the Sawtooth using the three inch pipe from my small stove and the reducer.

The point of this was to have a longer lasting fire and to be able to use larger wood then I could with the small stove.

My first fire started with no problem. The inside of the Sawtooth got smoky enough to be a little uncomfortable. The draft was good enough. Much of the pipe and some of the stove turned cherry red. I had worried if the aluminum pipe reducer would hold up to the heat but that was not a problem.

Due to the smoke problem I wanted to try this again. On the second try there was just a little smoke. It was about 30 degrees. Within 10 minutes the thermometer near the peak of the Sawtooth shot up to well over 100 degrees. There was some scorching of the material that holds the pipe in the stove jack. The lower 15 inches of Sawtooth door was open. There was no wind.

I think that the large box stove is too large for the Sawtooth. I will only use this combination in really cold weather. Perhaps the Colorado winter rondy if the forecast is for extreme cold. Otherwise I will use the small box stove and use a saw to cut large diameter wood to achieve long burn times. I would consider the new cylinder stoves but I cook on my box stoves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-to-4-Stai...1sddydyHqv4bEA

I have a sawtooth and bought one of these to use with my HPG shepard stove and the 3" pipe from my Kifaru med box stove.
    Last edited by billybass; 01-29-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot." ~ Steven Wright

The large stove preformed badly if the pipe was reduced to 3 inches. I tried it. Overall the more pipe volume the better aka length and diameter but naturally there is a limit.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------