Thread: stove pipe question

Default stove pipe question

I have a large box stove with a pipe for an eight man.
    I now have a Sawtooth and I have a small box stove with the right pipe for that shelter.
    This winter I want to run the big stove in the Sawtooth. My options as I see them are;

Spend $70 for a large stove pipe of the right length for the Sawtooth and make the hole in the stove jack big enough for the larger pipe and thus too big for the small pipe.

Run the large stove with the small pipe using a reducer to bring the stove outlet down to the size of the small pipe.

Try to use the small pipe by making it big at the stove and reduce it down to fit though the stove jack hole.

Does anyone have suggestions on this or other ideas?

Default Re: stove pipe question

I had the same predicament in my shelters. I wound up just shoving whatever stove pipe I had in there. Yeah the jack material hole gets a little bigger, but it hasn't bothered me.

One thing I've found, with the help of Woodswalker at the N.E. Rendezvous, is that your stove performance depends on the right length of stove pipe. I have one of the original kifaru stoves and when i got a longer pipe, my stove performed so much better. Before I had to constantly jump start the burn because the draft wasn't strong enough . So I'm thinking you may want to try your large stove first with the smaller pipe to see if it will perform for you. You won't know till you try.

Good luck
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    One thing I've found, with the help of Woodswalker at the N.E. Rendezvous, is that your stove performance depends on the right length of stove pipe. I have one of the original kifaru stoves and when i got a longer pipe, my stove performed so much better. Before I had to constantly jump start the burn because the draft wasn't strong enough . So I'm thinking you may want to try your large stove first with the smaller pipe to see if it will perform for you. You won't know till you try.

Good luck
    I wonder what the 'correct' ratio is. Does anyone have that data?

I think it's also pretty critical that you not have too long of a pipe sticking out. I'd call that more critical, especially if it's hot and a big wind comes up. You can adjust the draft (think of this as the intake side, tweaking the vents on the stove door) if the pipe's small to get it to run how you want.

Were it me, I'd cut your jack to fit the biggest pipe you've got, and if you run the smaller stove, make an additional jack out of a $10 welder's blanket (Harbor Freight) that will slide over the pipe and cover the too big opening. Then the remaining problem is stabilizing the pipe from flopping around in that hotdog hallway. (sorry, vulgarity, only visualization I can think of...) I'm trying to remember if there's velcro for a jack cover for when a stove's not in use, (there is on my TiGoat) if so, sew some velcro onto the welder's blanket, and it will hold the pipe, and cost you about $15 total, and you'll have tons of welder's blanket material left over...
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....