Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One strap only.

Default One strap only.

So August 2016 I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, the bad kind. Im trying to get back out THERE for day adventures. I have a chemo port on my right upper chest shoulder area. I cant wear a pack strap over it. Tried with my express. Wondering if one of the smaller packs could be midified to be like a maxpedition sling pack which goes over my left shoulder and crosses the body. Pack recomendation if possible.

Default Re: One strap only.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. How big of a pack do you need? I would suggest a tailgunner, I love mine. They can be run with or without the shoulder straps or with just one strap.

Get out there just to get your mind off of things.

You can try a Scout. I used to run mine on the waist belt with a contoured shoulder strap. it's like a messenger bag with a belt. You can do the same thing with any of the waist packs and belt. If you need more volume, you can add a couple belt pouches to the belt to keep the weight from pulling down on the main pack. Anything more in the pack itself could require the standard 2 pack straps...

I'd suggest one of the lumbar packs like Kifaru's Tailgunner 1 or 2, or MountainSmith Tour (smallish) or Day (slightly larger). I have the MS Tour, & run it without straps of any kind for day hikes, and add straps when it gets heavier. the weight is primarily on your hips, either way.

You can use it, or the Tailgunners, with the single shoulder strap that comes with it. Kifaru used to have instructions on doing so on their website. I use MS Strappettes on my Tour, & could easily remove one of them & run it as a single, too, for a bit better support & control. I also run another set of MS Strappettes on my E&E. I attach them to the D&L loops at the top of the pack (above the built-in straps) with a QR buckle, & then run the 3-bar through the common loop as usual. Since they're modular, removing one would also be easy to do. It could be repositioned to allow diagonal carry...not sure how comfortable it might be, though. I'll try to remember to check it out tonight & let you know. That might work for you, too.

I seem to recall that the Scout can be worn like a true lumbar pack, too...but my memory may be a bit foggy on that one.

I just lost a good friend to pancreatic cancer (diagnosed too late), and have another very dear friend who's been dealing with it for 2 years now. She had a Whipple procedure, followed by chemo. She had a port such as you describe. Glad you're feeling well enough to get out & about!

Best wishes & prayers for healing & continued strength in your battle!

David

Quote Originally Posted by floranama View Post
    Get out there just to get your mind off of things.

You can try a Scout. I used to run mine on the waist belt with a contoured shoulder strap. it's like a messenger bag with a belt. You can do the same thing with any of the waist packs and belt. If you need more volume, you can add a couple belt pouches to the belt to keep the weight from pulling down on the main pack. Anything more in the pack itself could require the standard 2 pack straps...
    I would also recommend the Scout as a viable one strap pack. I used to bowhunt with a Mountainsmith Tyrol(from the Patrick days on MTNsmith) and only one chest strap. The Tyrol is very similar to the Scout. It worked quite well.

I second, third and fourth the Scout. I run mine daily without any straps and it will still handle a goodly amount of weight and stuff. As mentioned you can add some pouches if needed (I have an admin and 2 small side pouches on mine and have run water bottle pockets on it too). Good luck, I will push good vibes your way!

Quote Originally Posted by wyomingran View Post
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. How big of a pack do you need? I would suggest a tailgunner, I love mine. They can be run with or without the shoulder straps or with just one strap.
    Im not seeing that Scouts or Tailgunners are still being made.

I've used a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipac and it's a quality pack. Plenty of room for a pistol, a Nalgene, administrivia, lunch, and stowing a jacket. I got one for my dad a few years ago, he loves his too, he's had both shoulders replaced.

Sorry to hear this Glenn, I'm type 1 diabetic, have been for going on 26 years now, glad to share insight there if it helps. From friends who've been down your path, I recommend looking into medical marijuana since Washington passed it. It can alleviate symptoms of chemo as well as fight the cancer itself, and depending on what you get, it can do a lot to help you rest. (Rick Simpson oil) If you go this route, ask specifically about CBD, it is really the "anti-cancer" agent, where THC is the "intoxicant".

Glad you're getting out! Those Maxpedition slings are well designed and well made, in Taiwan, (not mainland, communist China) and carry way better than I initially thought they would, the loops on the bottom allow hooking the opposite thumb to stabilize the pack, I've run with it fully loaded, it didn't flop around...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Yea not sure how much you have to carry to get out there for your day adventures, but at times Iíll just use a HPG Prairie Belt w/ HPG Butt Pack. You can attach a couple bottle holsters to the Butt Pack Sides or Prairie Belt. Add a few pockets to the belt as well. You can strap a puffy jacket or other jacket to the bottom of the Butt Pack. The Prairie Belt carries the weight really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GlennGTR View Post
    Im not seeing that Scouts or Tailgunners are still being made.
    There's a TG2 for sale right now: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=46313

Oh, & I tried a single Strapette on the E&E. It's doable, and with a little tweaking, might be OK. I think a lumbar pack is a better solution, though.

Regards,

David