Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations.

Default Re: 223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
    I'm watching this thread closely. I already have a nice Ruger GSR in .308 Win. I take it out in late fall and all winter for hunting forbearers. I know, the 30 cal bullet puts a big hole in hides, but one of the reasons I got it was I was interested in a "jack of all trades" rifle concept. Having said that, I'm also looking to replace my old Remington 788 in 22-250 for another coyote-bobcat-fox-turkey rifle, and sometimes I get the itch to put a 223 package together. So many things to ponder. Thanks for posting this thread...I miss the old rifle threads from 10 years ago!
    Well, in the spirit of keeping this thread going, has anyone tried out the Howa line of mini-action rifles ? Lots of caliber, barrel contours and lengths for < $700.

Zane,

I will check that one out. The other rifle I've looked at HARD is the Ruger M77 All-Weather Ultralight in .223 Rem. That one really got my attention. That, and the Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in the same chambering.

Glenn, you hang in there man! You are in my thoughts and prayers...good karma sent your way. Wishing you a peaceful Christmas season.
    Last edited by Sawtooth; 12-21-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Glenn,

Do you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you? If so, they carry the Tikka T3x Superlite. I think they even have them on sale right now too...Great rifle.

f.

It seems to me the Ruger American Ranch (bolt) in 556 is about perfect. Accurate (cold hammer forged barrel), weather resistant, great ergonomics, light with 16 inch barrel (add a flash hider) and with unlimited supplies of 223 and 556. Any very inexpensive. Lifetime warranty. If you buy it through Davidson's or a LGS that uses Davidson's as a distributor, free shipping back to Davidson's/Ruger forever. It doesn't seem any more cheap than most of its competitors. The only thing that it gives up to the Mossberg MVP is the AR magazine but the price is a much heavier and less handy rifle.
    Last edited by Flashman; 12-31-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    It seems to me the Ruger Ranch in 556 is about perfect. Accurate (cold hammer forged barrel), weather resistant, great ergonomics, light with 16 inch barrel (add a flash hider) and with unlimited supplies of 223 and 556. Any very inexpensive. Lifetime warranty. If you buy it through Davidson's or a LGS that uses Davidson's as a distributor, free shipping back to Davidson's/Ruger forever. It doesn't seem any more cheap than most of its competitors. The only thing that it gives up to the Mossberg MVP is the AR magazine but the price is a much heavier and less handy rifle.
    Soooooooooo.... made a slight change in plans and criteria. Bought a TC G2 Contender frame and will order two 14 inch barrels from MGM. One will be 223 with one in eight twist but the other, which will probably suit my purposes a little better is the 6.5 Grendel. Of course if I start getting more barrels Im sure that I will have a third barrel in 221 Rem Fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennGTR View Post
    Soooooooooo.... made a slight change in plans and criteria. Bought a TC G2 Contender frame and will order two 14 inch barrels from MGM. One will be 223 with one in eight twist but the other, which will probably suit my purposes a little better is the 6.5 Grendel. Of course if I start getting more barrels Im sure that I will have a third barrel in 221 Rem Fireball.
    Then there is the 277 Wolverine if I can order dies, or 6.8 SPC II.