Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations.

Hybrid View

Default 223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations.

Looking to purchase a bolt action rifle in 223 that is easy to pack, accurate and can be used for a variety of small game, varmints and predators. Some of the CZ micro actions look tempting but not familiar with the brand, never owned one. Ruger Ranch but it feels a bit cheap in the hands. What are you carrying in a 223 bolt gun????

Default Re: 223 Wandering Bolt Gun recommendations.

I've got a Mossberg Scout rifle that I really like. Mine is .308, but they do make one in .223 too. Mossberg makes several different variants. One of the .223 versions is called the Varmint Rifle. They're both magazine fed (the .223 uses STANAG magazines), adjustable trigger, Mauser action, etc. Relatively light also. IMHO, it's worth a look.

Take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

I've got a Mossberg MVP patrol rifle that fits your bill exactly. I got it because it was a less expensive option to a Ruger Gunsite (which I have in .308), and allows me to practice with cheaper ammo. It will do what you want and has the advantage of accepting AR mags.

I have the cz 527 varmit model. Knocked the barrel to 18" and its a dream.
    Working at a firearms shop I own or have played with the competition and have to say, the cz is my first choice.
    Nothings impossible, just expensive.

CZ's are amazingly well crafted production guns. Very hard to beat for the price range.

Check out Sako's line. I think model 85 Carbonlight. My friend has one and at well under 6# and beautifully made it is a delight to carry and accurate too..

CZ are nice little mini Mauser actions. Stock choices are a bit limited as are options for detachable mag systems if the factory DBM dosnt float your boat.

Tikka CTR's are IMO best value going right now but thats subjective.

I'd hunt for a used M70 (pre 2006 with the original trigger). It may not have all the curb feelers on it that some of the other actions have, but it has all the right stuff. The safety actually blocks the striker and allows you to open the bolt with the safety on or lock it shut. The bolt release is in the right place and easily accessible. The afore mentioned trigger is IMHO the finest field trigger designed to date; reliable and easily adjustable. I have 6 rifles sporting that trigger and they have all been adjusted to 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 pounds without problems. While it doesn't have a DBM, after market accessories abound. The action opening is large enough to reload by feel without looking at it. I ran a M70 in 243 through a Vickers bolt action carbine class a few years ago and ran 400+ rounds that week without a problem. Push feed or not (the 243 was not) a M70 in 223 would be my choice. Id also have it throated for 5.56. There is an excellent article in the 2013 Gun Digest regarding the difference between the 223 & the 5.56. Just my thoughts.

I'm watching this thread closely. I already have a nice Ruger GSR in .308 Win. I take it out in late fall and all winter for hunting furbearers. I know, the 30 cal bullet puts a big hole in hides, but one of the reasons I got it was I was interested in a "jack of all trades" rifle concept. Having said that, I'm also looking to replace my old Remington 788 in 22-250 for another coyote-bobcat-fox-turkey rifle, and sometimes I get the itch to put a 223 package together. So many things to ponder. Thanks for posting this thread...I miss the old rifle threads from 10 years ago!
    Last edited by Sawtooth; 12-21-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
    I'm watching this thread closely. I already have a nice Ruger GSR in .308 Win. I take it out in late fall and all winter for hunting forbearers. I know, the 30 cal bullet puts a big hole in hides, but one of the reasons I got it was I was interested in a "jack of all trades" rifle concept. Having said that, I'm also looking to replace my old Remington 788 in 22-250 for another coyote-bobcat-fox-turkey rifle, and sometimes I get the itch to put a 223 package together. So many things to ponder. Thanks for posting this thread...I miss the old rifle threads from 10 years ago!
    I miss having Timberline on here but I will be seeing him soon.