Thread: Frankenstein diy nomad

Default Frankenstein diy nomad

Chilling and looking at packs I'd consider I was studying the Nomad2 or a Fulcrum. I'd like the ability to scale from 40l daypack to medium/large pack (I'm currently using a Markhor as a large pack). The thing is my wife might divorce me if I get another large Kifaru box and I detest with a passion getting stiffed by UK Customs. Much as I'd like to visit Colorado I can't work out a good enough excuse to take my wife on holiday there. So to that end I decided to play some Kifaru lego with my parts and see what I could come up with. I thought about leaving the Markhor fitted and arranging the side pouches around it but it kinda got messy so I created the Frankenstein below. Haven't used it out but it was comfortable when I tried it on. Parts include, guide lid, old style side pouches top zip hybrid, Duplex and grab-it. I used a collection of grimlocs and SR buckles. I can't confirm the capacity but I think the old side pouches were 10L each and the guide lid is 20L.

Name:  IMG_4626.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  21.2 KB Name:  IMG_4627.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  26.6 KB Name:  IMG_4628.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  26.6 KB Name:  IMG_4629.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  30.0 KB
    Last edited by Scoman; 10-15-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Default Re: Frankenstein diy nomad

Looks good. Iíve considered doing something similar with the Exo Horn Haulers as the wings. Also Eberlestock now sells wings. Looks like itís a popular concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by btg108 View Post
    Looks good. Iíve considered doing something similar with the Exo Horn Haulers as the wings. Also Eberlestock now sells wings. Looks like itís a popular concept

And High Ground Gear. Kifaru's long pockets work well too.....
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

I hadnít known of HGG. Thanks!

Very cool seeing a large pack in black.

I've done some further mods, I've used MALICE clips through the molle and on to the tabs of the frame which a more secure arrangement. I've fitted the lid with siamese slik clips but would really like some K clips to make it more secure. I'm now looking to sew a bag together, same idea as the camp bag for the centre.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by doing this but imitation is the best form of flattery and costs to UK at the minute plus customs dues have been killing me in my last purchases.

So I sewed a bag similar to a high camp bag and finished of my 'Frankenmad'. I used 300d pu backed fabric to provide a little water resistance. The joke is I'll probably end up ordering a Nomad in 6 months or so if I've liked my attempt. Does anyone remember the volume of the old style large side pockets?

Name:  IMG_4649.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  15.2 KB Name:  IMG_4650.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  16.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
    I hope I'm not offending anyone by doing this but imitation is the best form of flattery and costs to UK at the minute plus customs dues have been killing me in my last purchases.

So I sewed a bag similar to a high camp bag and finished of my 'Frankenmad'. I used 300d pu backed fabric to provide a little water resistance. The joke is I'll probably end up ordering a Nomad in 6 months or so if I've liked my attempt. Does anyone remember the volume of the old style large side pockets?

Name:  IMG_4649.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  15.2 KB Name:  IMG_4650.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  16.7 KB
    Nothing wrong with what your doing. WE have all done something with our packs and Ive even used other manufacturer bags on the Kifaru frame =-)

I'm a big fan of people making their own gear. I know I get a kick out of using stuff I make, I think it makes getting out in the woods that much better. If I remember right, the top load side pockets are a little under 500 cu.in. each. Keep it up Scoman
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net